Usb Drives & Retrospect

We regularly get error -206 "Drive reported a failure: dirty heads, bad media, etc." on our USB drives." A Windows 2003 "check disk" run against the USB drive finds no problems.

- What kind of luck have others had with using USB drives (2TB in our case) with Retrospect?

- Has anybody solved the -206 problem when encountered with USB drives?

Dan J.

At home I backup to USB drives all the time without problems. But that's on Retrospect 8.2 for Mac, so that may not apply.

I have run backups to USB drives at work on Windows occasionally, but the last time was maybe 3 years ago. No problem, as far as I can remember.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest didrik

We regularly get error -206 "Drive reported a failure: dirty heads, bad media, etc." on our USB drives." A Windows 2003 "check disk" run against the USB drive finds no problems.

- What kind of luck have others had with using USB drives (2TB in our case) with Retrospect?

Dan J.

Backs up ok, better than to external SATA drives. External SATA drive causes Retrospect 7.7.562 to sometimes hang with severe consequences, and sometimes just gets stuck. Stopping the backup sometimes works, if it's just stuck, and sometimes does not work when it's a severe issue. The file type that appears to cause the problem -- only backing through the external SATA interface -- is a 3.7GB .mdb file. Backing up with the same script to the same drive through the USB interface proceeds smoothly. This is present only with the Roxio Retrospect version. Same script used to work fine with the same drive through EMC Retrospect.

Edited by didrik

• 2 weeks later...

Dan J.

I had the same thing with a 2TB USB drive (Western Digital 2TB - My Book Studio II Edition ). I tried rebuilding the catalog etc, checked the disk for errors (it checked out fine), kept getting the -206 problem. However, I didn't trust the disk check as I had previously had a bad file that couldn't be read, but disk check said all was OK.

In the end I tried copying the whole backup set to another drive. It turned out there WAS another bad file in the disk set - an unreadabe block or something. As it turns out I actually had a copy of the file, on another drive, so I replaced the broken file with a good one. Then rebuilt the catalog, and I got a different error: "Backup Set format inconsistency (5 at 91390759, during the catalog rebuild".

This time though, it appears to have built a valid catalog and I can access my backups again. Probably there are some files that may not be backed up, shortly after the backups that were a part of the broken file, but it is unlikely to be a problem in my own case as most of the files change every day so would soon ne back in sync with the backup date.

• 3 weeks later...

Dan J.

Recently purchased three of Iomega eGo 500GB Black Belt for Windows with Retrospect Express 7,7 and there were not any errors in doing backups on three setups with three laptops. One laptop even has another USB data drive attached and that is included in the backup.

I have a totally different problem but not associated with the USB drives, rather with something in the software I do not understand.

I've been using FREECOM 'hard drive XS' units for DR off site copies. They're about the size of a 3.5" disk and have a rubber-like coating. Never had a problem, but then I do backups to a ReadyNAS device and then use rSync to duplicate the backup media over to the USB (i.e. RS isn't involved in the duplication process).

Rich

I've been using FREECOM 'hard drive XS' units for DR off site copies. They're about the size of a 3.5" disk and have a rubber-like coating. Never had a problem, but then I do backups to a ReadyNAS device and then use rSync to duplicate the backup media over to the USB (i.e. RS isn't involved in the duplication process).

Rich

I'm not sure why our Western Digital MyBook USB drives are having such trouble with Retrospect but we will be going to add-on SCSI expansion disk capacity designed for the server in question and maybe do as you do -- use the USB for duplicate copies of the data, thus preventing Retrospect from talking to the USB drives at all.

Edited by d19jordan57