Can I designate or exclude removable media?

Rollyj

I am running retrospect workgroup 6.1. It resides on an Apple Xserve with an Xserve raid mounted and running OSX 10.4. I am doing normal backup of the server/raid to a Dell LTO drive and that is working fine. I am backing up all the macs in the shop to an external Lacie firewire drive. This runs as a "File Backup" set. This also seems to be working fine. What I want to do though is create another backup set that will span multiple firewire drives, but as near as I can tell from the documentation is that if I create a normal backup set (as opposed to a File Backup set), Retrospect is going to grab the external drives at random and erase them for use in the backup set. As the raid itself shows up as an external drive to Retrospect, that could be really bad. crazy.gif Am I misreading the documentation or simply missing a way to determine which HDs are available for use by Retrospect?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Rolly

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rolly,

I'm not positive on this so you may want to test it out on another machine first - but I believe if there is only one external drive available and it is already erased Retrospect will use it, otherwise it will prompt you to select an backup disk. (Btw; it's a 'removable disk' backup set, not 'normal')

Archived