Help for the newbie please...

Rylan9

Hello all,

I really don't like to make my first appearance in a forum asking some newbie questions, but I have been thrown into a Systems Admin Position and I need to setup Retrospect 7.5.285 Multi Server on a server here. We have several laptops. They would like to have each laptop backed up one full a week, and a partial everyday. They also have three Server hard drives we would like to back up, full everyday. Could you please help me run through what kind of setup I should have? I would like to have the full backups spread through the week, with a new tape each day, and three weeks of tapes. Thank you so much if someone could help me with this!!!

Rylan

Thats a big question. There are variables need to be taken into account that would be take awhile to flush out in a forum. If I were you I would scour the documentation, build a more concise framework of your intentions and come back with more targeted questions. I think one thing you need to think about carefully is the handling of your laptops scheduling. Their availability for backup may cause an issue depending upon your environment.

I responded to your post because I saw that nearly 40 folks viewed but didn't post a reply. Wanted to give you possible a reason why. My ¢2.

Hi Rylan,

First, you should get the most recent version of 7.0:

http://emcinsignia.com/supportupdates/updates/retrospect/archive/#UPDATETYPE41

Leopard makes a good point with the questionable availability of your laptop clients. You would probably be best off creating a Proactive script to backup your clients once a day. However, proactive will only run Normal (incremental) backups, so this does not address your weekly "fulls". For this you can either set a scheduled recycle backup to run once a week at a time when the proactive script will not be running, setting an empty folder as the source so the backups are simply cleared out. Or, you could make use of the grooming option in Retrospect and forego recycles altogether.

Quote:

First, you should get the most recent version of 7.0:

But Rylan said he has 7.5:

Quote:

I need to setup Retrospect 7.5.285 Multi Server on a server here.

Update for 7.5 is here:

http://emcinsignia.com/supportupdates/updates/#UPDATETYPE51

Your choice of options depends on your hardware - e.g., whether you have an autoloader, whether you have scratch disks for D2D2T, etc. Need more info. Suggest you read the manual first, which has good discussion of strategy.

Archived