client reserved?

Sometimes, one of our Linux servers stops getting backed up, for no reason that is obvious to me. When I run "service rcl status" it says:

Server "<Backup Client Name>":

Version 7.5.112

reserved by <Backup Server> for <Backup Set>

back up according to normal schedule

currently on

readonly is off

exclude is off

1 connections, 1 authenticated

If I stop and start the client, things start working again, and status says:

Server "<Backup Client Name>":

Version 7.5.112

back up according to normal schedule

currently on

readonly is off

exclude is off

0 connections, 0 authenticated

Some questions:

1) Why does it get into this stuck state?

2) How can I get notification that it stopped working? Retrospect email notifications suck... frown.gif

Speculation: this happens when the backup script terminates due to running longer than the allowed schedule.

Note that the client in question was NOT the one active! The one active at the time was another Linux server, and that one continued to be backed up according to the schedule.

Hi Spawn,

I have often seen a client hang in a "in use" status when a connection fails to terminate correctly. If this wasn't the client in use when the script terminated, then I'm not exactly sure why it happened in this scenario.

Unfortunately, I can't think of a way to come up with any notification for this, as the connection is most likely terminated correctly on the server side and the client has not failed, it simply doesn't realize it is no longer actually in use.

What I'd really like is for the Retrospect server to send an email notification (not several little ones, which it seems fond of doing) listing the clients that haven't been backed up in x number of days. That seems like a reasonable feature to expect it to have.

Archived