Can't get IBM 3581 L38 Autoloader to autoload...

Hi everyone, I'm trying to get an IBM 3581 L38 Autoloader to work with Multi-Server 7.5. It is aparently "Qualified" according to the device and hardware compatibility page. It is a single drive 8 cartridge 2u drive.

All I really want it to do is when it reaches the end of a 400gb tape, to automatically move to the next tape. When the current tape is full and the drive is set to random I have to go to the drive and select the tape I want to load. I get notifications saying "Waiting for media." When the current tape is full and the drive is set to sequential I still get notifications saying "Waiting for media," but I get all I have to do is hit the eject button in Retrospect and it swaps to the next tape in the autoloader.

Is it possible to automate this process? Often when it finishes a tape its at 11pm and I can't get in there until 9am the next day, or worse in weekends. In Configure:Devices should it look like a tape library? Do I need to install drivers for the autoloader in Windows (of which what I have found on the IBM website doesn't make much difference).

Help please!

Hi Jacob,

You didn't mention any preference settings in Retro, so make sure you have the option for "Automatic skip to blank media" enabled in Configure>Preferences>Media Request.

The loader should be set to random mode, make sure you have current firmware for the library and SCSI card.

You're right, I hadn't even realised the setting was in there. Thanks, hopefully it'll work!

Question tho, should all my tapes just be erased before using them? Should I bother adding them to the backup set? Because if I add them to a backup set, it names them and they arn't exactly blank anymore?

Thanks!

Hi Jacob,

With the option to automatically skip to blank media enabled you can just leave your tapes blank. People only really need to pre-add tapes when they're going to be working in a scenario where mutliple backup sets are in the library at the same time and there is a reasonable chance that not doing so could adversely affect their backup scheme.

Archived