Unattended Backup requires user input

I'm creating a script to do a nightly unattended backup. Since we are considering switching from other backup software to Retrospect, the tapes have other data on them. I've tried Recycle and New Media backups, but the unattended backup still stops and asks to select a new tape because the loaded tape has a status of "content unrecognized". I can select the "unknown" tape in the drive and then click "Proceed" - but I would really like a truly "unattended" solution. What do I need to set so it will use whatever tape is in the drive, no matter what, and overwrite it with the night's backup? I have liked everything else about Retrospect, but this is a show-stopper for purchasing the product - so any help would be appreciated!

You need to get all of this other media prepared for use with Retrospect.

You should erase each one of those tapes in Retrospect (Configure/Devices) so that they are ready for use with Retrospect. Retrospect can only "automatically" erase media that has been written by Retrospect it's self. Any other media gets shown as unknown to Retrospect.

Thanks! Not what I wanted to hear, but I guess we can do that. It is a lot of media to prepare. Are there other situations where the unattended backup prompts for input (other than obvious stuff like no tape in the drive or a read-only tape)?

Archived