Upgraded to 7.5 now old strategy won't work.

Hi All,

My old tape drive gave up so I upgraded and in turn upgraded from Retrospect 5.3 to 7.5.

Previously we changed the tape every day until all data was backed up. We have around 95GB of data to back up so this made 5 tapes for a backup set. We would do a recycled backup and duplicate the script and create a new backup set to go with it. When all the data was backed up the set would finish and close Retrospect.

Is there a way to do this style of backup with Retrospect 7.5? I know this uses a lot of tapes but we like to have an archive of our data.

Hi Peter,

You could continue doing something similar to this by utilizing the 'new backup set' action in scheduling. This will have Retrospect create a new backup set with the same name as the previous one with an appended numeric indicater in the form of [001]. So the first week's backup will be "Backup Set A," then it will create a new set called "Backup Set A [001]" and start a whole new backup.

While this would work, it might be more convenient in the long run if you took a few minutes to create a new backup set with a name indicating which week it was from.

Archived