New Writer Incompatible with Old Written Media??

I have a backup set on CD-Rs mostly written by an old CD-RW drive. I have replace that drive with a new DVD write (dual format, dual layer, 16X,...). Today I tried to restore a file from CD-Rs that were written by the old drive. Retrospect asked for a specific disk and when supplied it took a look at it and decided that something (the drive, the CD?) was incompatible.

Is there a requirement that the disks be read by the same drive that wrote them?

--Larry

I'm using Retrospect Pro 6.5.382 although the disk of interest was written by an somewhat earlier 6.5.xx version.

Hi Larry,

If it is possible it would be best to use the same burner to restore. If a custom driver was created to use a particular burner, the likelihood of being able to restore that data with a different burner is rather low.

You could try running a custom configuration for the new burner with the same media that you had previously backed up with. This might allow Retrospect to properly interact with that device/media combination.

Foster, Thanks for that news (bad news as far as I'm concerned). I'm absolutely flabberghasted that this is (might be) the case.

Indeed I had to do the custom configuration for the DVD writer since it isn't one of the (seemingly few) natively supported by Retro 6.5.xxx.

One conclusion I get from this is that once you do a custom config with one media type, you have to keep using that type and maybe only that type. That is simply not acceptable. Tell me it isn't true!

--Larry

Larry,

Unfortunately that is true. When performing custom configuration you are telling Retrospect to build a custom driver for the devices. The custom drive will only support media types that it succesfully configures for.

It is possible to configure for more than one type of media - at the end of configuration with a disc it should ask if you'd like to configure with any additional types of media, you need to say 'yes' and insert the next media type. You can configure with as many types of media as you want to, but they all need to be done at once so that they load in the same custom driver.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived