Assertion failure at "simp.cpp-342"

rbspies

When I back up to a File backup set, if I select Media verification, sometimes Retrospect crashes at the point it would normally start verifying. I see a status message that says something about "resynchronizing", which is immediately followed by "Assertion failure at "simp.cpp-342"". The beginning of assert_log.utx includes:

====================

OS: Windows XP version 5.1 (build 2600), Service Pack 2, (32 bit)

Application: C:\Program Files\Retrospect\Retrospect 7.5\Retrospect.exe, version 7.5.285

Driver Update and Hot Fix version 7.5.5.103

Exception occurred on 7/27/2006 at 9:39:01 PM

Error info: Assertion failure at "simp.cpp-342"

Exception code: E0000000 ASSERTION

Fault address: 7C81EB33 0001:0001DB33 kernel32.dll

====================

I can work around the problem by switching to "Thorough verification", which never results in the crash.

I have never experienced this problem backing up to a Disk backup set.

Ideas? Something buggy in Media verification?

Thanks.

• 1 year later...

I just took over backups, and switch from "Thorough verification" to "Media Verification" and I'm having the same trouble.

I have all the latest and greatest versions.

Year and a half later, no fix? Sigh.

Is there a product that is similar to Retrospect, except dependable and stable?

I believe the Media Verification failure is only an issue with a file backup set.

>> Is there a product that is similar to Retrospect, except dependable and stable? <<

My experience is that all backup products, like all software, have their issues. I've found Retrospect to be more dependable and stable than most.

I've been using Retrospect as a personal backup product. I've recently switched to Acronis True Backup, which isn't as polished as Retrospect, but has a quicker/easier disaster recovery restore. I don't think I'd recommend it for "professional" use (i.e., as a network administrator). Then again, I'm using the personal version, haven't tried the corporate version.

Once gotcha--True Backup installs a device driver that appears to cause Retrospect to crash frequently during the disk scanning phase.

> I believe the Media Verification failure is only an issue with a file backup set.

This is a shame, since a file backup set would typically be more reliable than tape, and would be exactly when you would want to use the faster Media Verification.

I guess I'll see if EMC tech support can fix the Media verification issue. Somehow I do not have much hope.

OK, well maybe I'll look at Acronis.

I saw an ad somewhere for a system that had two appliances. Initially you brought both into your business. The first appliance backs up all the local machine. The second appliance mirrors the first. Once they are synchronized, you take the second appliance off site (we would take ours to a data center), and a broadband link keeps them synchronized.

It looked expensive, but the time we spend babysitting Retrospect on 25 computers is probably around 2-3 hours a day. That adds up.

Part of our problem is that I insist that the daily backup stand alone, and that it be taken off site. I have not found a good way to make Retrospect do this. We end up resetting a lot of backup sets, manually rescheduling scripts, etc.

For background, we have 5 x 750GB external SATA drives that we cold swap, and use as the destination for the backups.

Thanks for your input.

I guess I'll see if EMC tech support can fix the Media verification issue.

Archived