No Drivers for Quantum Superloader SDLT 320?

We recently purchased the advanced tape support option for Retrospect 7.5. It is running on a w2k3 box along with a Overland Storage 16 tape library SDLT drive. Previously I used the Overland drive on this box with the Windows drivers disabled, and Retrospect would use it's own drivers without a problem. After purchasing the ATS option, I installed a Quantum Superloader SDLT 320 drive on an LSI Logic SCSI card (the Overland is connected to an internal SCSI port).

Upon starting the server for the first time, windows recognized the Quantum tape drive and installed it's generic drivers. I disabled the drivers in the computer management MMC panel, and launched Retrospect. Retrospect reported an unknown command in the Devices window under the Environment tab for the new Quantum drive (the orginal Overland drive still works perfectly). Refreshing the tape drive and the library did not fix the problem. I have rebooted the server a few times, and tried different combinations of disabling the drivers, running the Retrospect updater, etc.

Retrospect is backing up to the device using Windows generic drivers, but I would assume it is ideal to have Retrospect use it's own drivers. Are there any other steps I can take to get Retrospect to work with my tape drive?

Hi,

Retrospect will connect to a device with it's own drivers whether the device is disabled in Windows device manager or not. If you look in Configure>Devices on the Environment tab, you should see drivers loaded in the driver column. Any driver listed here is a Retrospect driver.

Is this your new loader? http://emcinsignia.com/supportupdates/technical/retrospect/detail/?id=8555

Do you know for sure that the LSI board is functional? Have you checked for any firmware updates for it?

I would recommend setting the SCSI id's to 2 for the drive and 5 for the library. This will help eliminate potential communications issues.

Quote:

Hi,

Retrospect will connect to a device with it's own drivers whether the device is disabled in Windows device manager or not. If you look in Configure>Devices on the Environment tab, you should see drivers loaded in the driver column. Any driver listed here is a Retrospect driver.

This is how I noticed the problem. In the driver column, it displays "unknown command" or something to that effect for both the drive and library.

Quote:

Is this your new loader?

Yes, that appears to be the correct model of Quantum Superloader.

Quote:

Do you know for sure that the LSI board is functional? Have you checked for any firmware updates for it?

I believe it is functional. I'm currently using that card connected to the Quantum drive, with Retrospect. The problem being, I am using the Microsoft generic drivers for the Quantum drive/library instead of the Retrospect drivers. I will look into a firmware update for the card.

Quote:

I would recommend setting the SCSI id's to 2 for the drive and 5 for the library. This will help eliminate potential communications issues.

I will look into changing the SCSI id's but this drive and card was functioning perfectly on a different server. Thanks for your help.

Quote:

I will look into changing the SCSI id's but this drive and card was functioning perfectly on a different server.

Ooooh, interesting. What are the OS's of the old and new machine? If the new machine is a Windows 2003 box, it may be that ASPI needs to be installed. The drive listed has been supported as of Retrospect 5.6, so it would have been tested and approved with ASPI. What version of Retrospect was this device previously working with? Or was it a different application?

Quote:

Ooooh, interesting. What are the OS's of the old and new machine? If the new machine is a Windows 2003 box, it may be that ASPI needs to be installed. The drive listed has been supported as of Retrospect 5.6, so it would have been tested and approved with ASPI. What version of Retrospect was this device previously working with? Or was it a different application?

Retrospect 6.1.126, OS X 10.4.6, Mac G5. The SCSI card is compatible with both Macs and PCs. The device manager in w2k3 is reporting that the card is functioning normally, and I have already updated the driver with LSI's newest version. Is ASPI something I should look into? Can I implement ASPI on the Quantum drive without disturbing the Overland drive that I also have connected? Thanks for your help.

Just an update for anyone who is reading this... The problem seems to be the LSI SCSI adapter card. I swapped it out for a 39160 Adaptec SCSI card. I then restarted the server with only the quantum drive attached. I then disabled the windows drivers, launched Retrospect and Retrospect was able to see the drive and use it correctly. After another restart to reattach my overland drive, all is well.

Archived