Scanning incomplete, error -645 (chunk file damaged during save)

DWitteried

Well... I thought I had this problem fixed! After deleting the Retrospect files in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Retrospect and reseting my Retrospect S/N, I was able to backup my Document snd Settings folder using an Immediate Backup. However, while backing up my network using a script today I got the "Chunk File" damaged error message when trying when the script tried to backup the system (C: drive) which is running retrospect again. All of the other devices were succesfully backed up (i.e. a NAS and Laptop).

I then tried running a script backup of C: and got the error again just as the file scan completed.

I then tried the Documents and Settings immediate backup and it worked fine.

Now I am doing an immediate backup on my C: drive and it seems to be working...? The last time this occured it didn't matter if I did an immediate backup or script. I could not backup anything on my C drive.

Any thoughts?

Hi David,

If this error pops up randomly when copying data from different sources I would think there may be a problem with either the machine Retrospect is installed on or with the destination volume. Where is the backup data actually being stored and where is the catalog file? Are all of these sources going to the same backup set?

I doesn't seem too random. I will back up from any source except the machine retrospect is running on. However, it does seem to backup if I use an immediate backup rather than a saved script! Tonight an automatic backup of Documents and Settings failed, but an immediate backup worked. On Sunday a automatic backup of my system failed, but the immediat backup worked.

This seems too selective to be a hardware problem with the host computer or backup media. I don't think the chunk file is on the backup media anyway. And if it were the HD where the chunk file goes, why does it work for other computers on the network?

Very strange,

David

Foster,

Other scheduled scripts seem to work just fine. I am only having problems with the scripts when they run (automatically, or manually) against the host computer. However, the immediat backups of the same folders work ok.

I will try deleating the configuration files again to see what happens.

• 3 weeks later...

Ahh-ha! I have discovered what seems to be causing the problem though I don't know why. If I change the back up options for the job set Windows-Security with the "Backup file security information from workstation" I get the Chunck File error message. If I uncheck that option the backup runs fine. I also noted that clicking the Use Defaults button unchecks that option. Any explanation? I am using Windows XP Home.

Thanks for this tip! I'll try it to see if that same setting has been a cause of my backup failures over network, (described elsewhere in this forum), where the connection to target backup device, a server, "falls asleep" periodically and thereby introduces a corruption to the .rdp file not discovered until later.

Archived