Recovery Issue

woolychaser

We recently deployed 60GB Store-It drives to our sales force and they have been running backups semi-regularly. I have a laptop in house now (due to a hard drive issue) along with the gentleman's store-it drive. The HDD has been replaced and a new image is on the laptop now along with the retrospect software. If I explore the store-it drive I can go through the backup set folder until I reach a bunch of .rdb files, but when I try the recovery from retrospect it is looking for backup sets with .rbf or .rbc extensions....anyone know what gives? Is there a way to make this work?

I guess I don't understand why retrospect would make backup files with an extension not supported or covered by the recovery function.

Hi,

In order to do a restore you will need a catalog file for the backup data. The catalog file is the .rbc extension referenced and is basically an index of the backup data. You can create a catalog file by going to Tools>Repair Catalog>Recreate from Disks and then point Retrospect to the folder containing those .rdb files.

Once this is complete you will be able to run through a restore and recover whatever data you need from that backup set.

If this doesn't make sense to you please see this tutorial:

http://kb.dantz.com/article.asp?article=8350&p=2

Thanks for the reply Foster. I've tried that and the problem is that when I navigate to the external drive housing the .rdb files, nothing shows up in the retrospect window. I can see the files if I navigate the drive, but going to them through retrospect shows nothing. Additionally the files are all named using numbers such as 000000001.rdb all the way through 69 or so. I can see #s 65 through 69 are his last backup on 5/29 when I browse the drive.

Any other ideas?

Quote:

...and then point Retrospect to the folder containing those .rdb files.

Yeah, that's the trick. Retrospect doesn't display files in that view, as all files will need to be in the same location in order to be recataloged as a single backup set. Typically, you can just select the drive letter that these backup files are located on and Retrospect can discover them. However, if they're not at the default path (X:\Retrospect\Backupset\1-Backupset) then you will need to point Retrospect directly to the member folder (1-Backupset).

Archived