Choosing backup sources

andre

This week I installed, configured and used Retro Server for the 1st time. I'm having trouble backing up over the network. When choosing folders to back-up at each of my 3 sites, I chose folders nested just 2 levels deeper than the root drive. However, Retro Server is backing up the entire HD at each site! I properly chose only the specific folders for backup (or so I think). These specific folders properly appear in the sources window, and the entire HD's do not. So what gives? Why is Retro Server not following my commands to only BU certain folders?!?! Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Thank you for the reply, Melissa. Yes, when under sources within the Automate - Scripts - Edit menu I show the exact folders I want backed-up and their respective servers. Under sources, it reads like this:

datafile on school1 server

datafile on school2 server

datafile on school3 server

"datafile" is just the name of my student management software data storage folder. I deleted the entire original backup set and created it all anew. It's scheduled to begin next Tuesday night, so wish me luck. If you have any suggestions, I'm listening. Also, could you please answer this? What happens if you miss a night (don't insert a tape) for a nightly backup? Rather than completing it the following day, can I just cancel the backup for that one missed night?

Thanks,

Andre

>>>What happens if you miss a night (don't insert a tape) for a nightly backup? Rather than completing it the following day, can I just cancel the backup for that one missed night? <<<

If you miss a night, it will sit on the "waiting for correct media" screen until you come in. The next day you are more than welcome to cancel the backup that it missed that night. Sure! It won't hurt the backup, just that you didn't get a backup that night!

Archived