Retrospect Server and Tape Libraries

I am setting up Retrospect Server (running on Windows 2000 Professional) to use a Tape Library (Sony StorStation LIB-81 StorStation). When configuring Retrospect, I created a separate Backup Set for each of the 7 tapes loaded in the LIB-81.

How do I configure each Backup Set to use the specific corresponding tape. For example, Backup Set 1 uses Tape 1, Backup Set 2 uses Tape 2, etc. ?

Because of this, I'm not sure how does Retrospect know when to go to the next tape. Otherwise, I'm wondering if it will stay on Tape 1 until it fills up and then go to the next Tape 2. I'm trying to configure Retrospect to backup onto each tape separately.

Any suggestions is appreciated!

• 2 years later...

Hi, I'm trying to configure the same Storstation. Retrospect will identify the AIT drive, but not the library. None of the Library functions are enabled, and will not change tapes.

I'm not sure what I am missing. I though I had all the drivers necessary.

I'm running Retrospepct on a Windows 2003 server.

Any help would be much appreciated! smile.gif

Thanks, Jeff

Hi

brtanaka,

Retrospect allocates tapes to backup sets automatically. If a tape gets full Retrospect will automatically grab another one from the library. Without the Advanced tape support add on you cannot add tapes to a specific backup set ahead of timeThe best thing to do is let your backups run for a week and then write labels on your tapes.

Jeff,

Are you using Retrospect Professional? It does not support tape libraries.

Thanks

nate

Archived