Tape drive requested retension, but retension option not available

One of our customers has a Sony AIT-3 tape drive that ia having trouble reading/writing a tape:

Date: 6/7/2006

(Sony AIT-3 DC, ID 2:11:0 | media: 1-Tuesday) : The tape drive is having problems reading data. No data has been lost, but there has been a reduction in the performance of the tape.

Retrospect reports the tape drive has requested that the tape be retensioned:

Date: 6/7/2006

(Sony AIT-3 DC, ID 2:11:0 | media: 1-Tuesday) : The tape drive has requested a retension operation.

However, when I select the tape, the Retension option on the menu is not available (grayed out). How do I rentension the tape?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tim

What is the exact error message in the log? Was it from Tape Alert?

AIT tapes can not do a retension so this is a bogus error message, probably coming directly from the hardware. I suspect some type of read error with the tape media.

Have you cleaned the tape heads?

Thank you for your reply. These errors don't appear in the backup log, only the event log. The text is exactly as I pasted into the original post. The text came from email alerts, but is the same as shown in the event log.

Well, that is the confusing thing. The message states the hardware requested the retension, but if the drive doesn't support the operation, why would it request it?

The tape drive does have the capability to request cleaning and it was cleaned a couple weeks ago. The tape in question has only been used 2 or 3 times. The backup from the next day (6/8/2006) had no problems.

Archived