Retrospect Professional 7.5 and StorageTek 9730

Our company needs to back up 3 macs on the network to tape. We have a spare StorageTek 9730 that we would like to use with Retrpspect Professional 7.5 - except I am not sure they are compatible. The price point for 3 licenses would make this an acceptable purchase for us.

We don't have a mac server, so the idea was to use the windows verision on a workstation to handle the backup.

Thanks for any advice you might have.

Hi,

This library has been supported as of the 5.0 version for Windows. Since this is an older drive, you might need to have Retrospect run with ASPI rather than NT Passthrough, but you should try it with the defaults first. You will probably want to set the SCSI id's for the tape drive to 2 and the library to 5. Also, make sure you have at least firmware version 1.11 for the library.

Backups will run cross-platform, so you should be okay in that regard. I'm not sure if you'll need a single server version to run a library, but the most client licenses you should have to buy would be 1, as Retrospect Pro comes with 2 clients and the number increases from there.

Foster:

Thanks - yes, I mis-spoke about the licenses - I meant the default 2 +1. So we do not need to purchase the workgroup version of the software - regular Prof. 7.5 should do the trick baring the usual scsi issues that come up from time to time.

Archived