avoiding locked file errors

Clyde

How can I prevent "error -1020 sharing violation" messages from appearing in the log? Apparently, excluding these files from backup (using a pre-tested selector) doesn't keep Retrospect from trying to access them and generating the error. It's a nuisance to have these errors show up in the log and reports with every backup.

I'm testing Retrospect Server Backup 5.6.132 with driver update 2.7.117 on a Windows XP Pro workstation backing up a Windows 2000 Server.

Do any of these errors refer to "can't save security information"? If so, you can turn off the copying of NTFS permissions from the options button of the script.

What types of files are reporting the sharing violation? Are these files that can be closed prior to backup? Closing the open file is the best approach to avoiding these errors.

The files cannot be closed because they're held open all the time by critical OS services that I can't afford to stop. The error messages do not refer to saving security information. Maybe it is related to copying of NTFS permissions, but why should Retrospect be doing that on files or folders specifically excluded from backup? Since this is a server, I don't want to turn off all backup of NTFS permissions entirely, just to avoid the nuisance error messages.

From my log of an immediate backup of server WOODY:

2/14/2002 9:45:43 AM: Connected to WOODY

File "C:\WINDOWS\system32\cpl.cfg": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\WINDOWS\system32\dhcp\dhcp.mdb": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\WINDOWS\system32\dhcp\j50.log": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\WINDOWS\system32\dhcp\j50tmp.log": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\WINDOWS\system32\dhcp\tmp.edb": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\WINDOWS\system32\wins\j50.log": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\WINDOWS\system32\wins\wins.mdb": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\WINDOWS\system32\wins\winstmp.mdb": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\WINDOWS\tracing\wzcmon\amlog.mdb": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\WINDOWS\tracing\wzcmon\edb.log": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\WINDOWS\tracing\wzcmon\tmp.edb": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

2/14/2002 10:31:42 AM: Snapshot stored, 50.1 MB

2/14/2002 10:33:17 AM: 11 execution errors

P.S. Is Dantz considering making use of Microsoft's "volume shadow copy" service (introduced in XP) in a future upgrade? This would eliminate the open file problem and perhaps some other issues. I think Retrospect sales could really take off in MS shops if you could tout this compatibility.

DHCP And WINS Backup And Restore With Windows 2000 And NT Server

Description

The Retrospect User's Guide (version 5.0), Retrospect Version 5.1 User's Guide Addendum, and an older version of the Retrospect Clients for Windows "read me" file include erroneous information and instructions for backing up and restoring DHCP or WINS information on Windows 2000 or NT Server computers. Fortunately, the process is easier than was previously documented.

Solutions

Disregard the DHCP and WINS backup and restore instructions in the previously mentioned documentation. Instead, follow the instructions below.

Backing Up DHCP Server and WINS Server Information

Retrospect does not back up certain active DHCP and WINS server files from Windows NT Server. However, the operating system can maintain its own backups, which you can back up from Retrospect.

The DHCP server copies its files to a folder named "backup" in the "dhcp" folder, once an hour. The WINS server, by default, does not make copies of its needed files, but you can make it do so.

If you need to back up a Windows NT or 2000 server running WINS, take the steps described below to make these files available for Retrospect backups.

Preparing To Back Up the WINS Database

1a. For Windows NT, use the WINS Manager and go to Server>Configuration>Advanced.

1b. For Windows 2000, use WINS and go to Action>Properties.

2. Set the backup database path to %SystemRoot%\configbk\ then exit WINS or WINS Manager. (If the folder you specified does not exist, it will be created automatically.)

After you take these steps, the WINS files will be copied to the backup folder every three hours.

Backing Up the Configurations

Do your regular Retrospect backups, making sure the file selection criteria include the backup database paths (configbk and backup folders).

TIP: The All Files and OS Folder selectors ensure the files will be included in backups.

To Restore the DHCP and WINS Databases

If you are using Retrospect for Windows, follow the steps under "Restoring an Entire Windows Computer" of the Retrospect User's Guide's Chapter 7. (Disregard its admonition about not using it to restore a DHCP or WINS server.)

If you are using Retrospect 4.2 for Macintosh, follow the steps under "Restoring a Windows Client" of the Retrospect User's Guide's Chapter 7.

If you are using Retrospect 4.0 or 4.1 for Macintosh, follow the steps under "Restoring a Windows Client" of the Retrospect User's Guide's Chapter 9.

Upon completing the restore steps, DHCP or WINS server information is restored to the backup database path and the operating system automatically reconfigures the DHCP or WINS server accordingly.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know what the convention is around here for bringing up old threads, but I have the same problem and this one didn't seem to be resolved.

I have set up exclusions on files and folders and would therefore assume that they would be excluded from being backed up. However, I notice in the backup logs that they are attempted and subsequently failed. In my particular case, I am running SETI@home and a SetiQueue. Quite often files will be open as work units are downloaded and uploaded. They are far from critical files and therefore I wish to exclude them from backups. I have place the SETI SetiQueue folders in the exclusions list but continue to see attempts made to backup open files within the supposed excluded SetiQueue folder. I run the check utility and I can see that the SETI and SetiQueue folders are *not* hi-lighted and further assume that they are excluded from being backed up.

Why is this? What can be done about this?

I also have the same question. In my case, I want Retrospect to skip my MS SQL Server data files. I have SQL Server dumping backups of the databases to files, so that is how my data gets backed up. I excluded the SQL Server data files from the backup using a Selector, but I still get:

File "C:\MSSQL7\Data\master.mdf": can't read security information, error -1020 (sharing violation)

For a while, I thought I must be configuring the Selector incorrectly and tried several different approaches. I have finally come to the conclusion that despite being excluded, Retrospect still tries to read NTFS security information about the file, thus generating the error. This seems like a bug to me.

These spurious errors are a nuisance because I am unable to pare down the error set to just ones I might be interested in.

This issue should be passed onto your engineering folks to determine if it is a bug, and if not, to provide a satisfactory explanation.

Thanks.

-- Mark Reynolds

• 4 months later...

I was unable to access this page (I tried clicking and cutting & pasting) but get message

"We encountered a problem...cannot proceed...this may not neccessarily be an error".

Can you give me the forum name and subject of the post so that I can search for it directly there? I am also getting the annoying File "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr0.dat": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation) for a number of OS files that I thought I'd excluded. I'm starting to think that the most straightforward backup strategy is the duplicate function.

Archived