Maxto OneTouch II Installation problems

maxtorhd

Ok, so what's the trick to get around the "unlicensed" bug? I've reinstalled/rebooted/etc 1.0 and 1.1 about a dozen times tonight and it NEVER works.

No I have not removed .Net 2.0 in order for 1.0 to really work, it just hangs of course.

fyi I'm trying to back up a 2nd computer with my Onetouch II drive - it is working fine on another PC that I installed months ago.

Thanks

Per request, her are more details. I have a toshiba tablet m4 that I want to backup to my maxtor onetouch II drive. I've installed 1.0, tried to run it - it opens, but cannot load any of my previous backups (Note I don't want to go back to .net 1.0 in order to get this to work.), then with the app open I've installed 1.1 and rebooted. I've tried this many times, installing the app for everyone on the PC and myself. Tried installing the files into the same folder.

I still get the licensing issue every time - 1.1 does not appear to work.

Scott

• 3 weeks later...

Hello RetroRespect (and others). Have read many of your entries, I hope you will be able to assist me.

I have similar problems with what I believe is one extra twist. I need help restoring from a restore point made with Retrospect Express. The kicker is that the restore points are not in their original location because my external Maxtor One Touch II also became corrupted.

Here are the details:

• My primary hard disk crashed on my Dell Dimension 8400

• I was running Retrospect Express (RE) with an external Maxtor One Touch II 300GB USB drive. I also had a few files directly copied onto it, too.

• At the time of my Dell hard disk crash, I installed RE on my laptop, connected the Maxtor One Touch II, and even confirmed I could restore a few recently edited files as a test. Thought I was in great shape with my backup, especially after the test restore.

• I let Dell reformat my primary hard disk, and after it failed diagnostics, we replaced it with a brand new hard drive

• I could not restore my files from the Maxtor One Touch II after re-installing RE to the Dell and attaching the external drive

• I believe at some point, I was seeing the “0 restore points” issue and read many entries on this and simialr forums about resolving that issue. I ran into the same issues logged in so many places.

• I don’t know what happened in-between (overwrote something on the disk? Did not disconnect/uninstall nicely? Power Outage? Etc.). But at some point, the external Maxtor One Touch was recognized as a drive, but it was “unformatted” and could not be read.

• Not wanting to lose any of the data I still believed has to be on the Maxtor, I purchased another internal SATA hard drive.

• Using a data recovery program, I recovered files from the Maxtor and wrote them to the internal SATA drive. It looks like the Retrospect folders are all there, as are the numerous files representing various restore points. I also can see, and have already recovered and used, the other files that were directly written to the Maxtor One Touch (i.e., I recovered them to the internal SATA drive and can read them with the intended applications).

• However, I am unable to recover my data from a given Restore Point using Retrospect Express.

• I have tried numerous installs, un-installs and re-installs. I’ve tried version 1.0.196 (from original install disks), and also upgraded to 1.1.126 as well as 1.1.127. I have found and deleted the rbc files, etc.

• I finally was able to find and see my 301 restore points. So I purchased another external USB hard drive (still not wanting to over-write the Maxtor until I have guaranteed I have recovered all of my data).

• To recap:

o The RE backups were lost when my external Maxtor OneTouch II became corrupt

o I recovered them to an internal SATA disk

o I intend to restore them to a separate external USB hard disk

• When I did that, I get the error message depicted below. I am using 1.0.196, and when I tried to upgrade to 1.1.126 or 1.1.127 I get the “unlicensed” error issue right now. The screen shot below shows writing a few selected files to my C: drive, but the same error message happens when I try to restore few/many files to the external hard disk. I'm guessing I need to somehow specify the exact perfect path and have all files in the proper location in order to be able to utilize this "recovered restore" since RE says you can't really "move" your restore point files after creating them on the external hard disk.

• The message says

o Executing DirectRestore at date, time

o To Volume Restore 7 on Local Disk (C:)

o Date, time Restoring from RestorePoint

o Date, time Execution incomplete

o <NOTE: those times are only 1/100 of a second apart>

o Remaining 6 files, 22.4MB

o Completed 0 files, zero KB

o Performance 0.0 MB/minute

PLEASE HELP ME! I can provide any other details or specifics as needed. THANKS!

• 1 month later...

Archived