backup of domaincontroller and webserver with sql

Hi,

I have retrospect single server with an extra licence on 2 servers.

There is a ms sql 2000 on one of them so I have an sql licence.

But I seem to receive errors in the logs.

The problem is that it says it are open files.

For example it finds them in the sql directory but the sql should be already backupped via the sql plugin so strange the program isn't intelligent enough to find that out.

Does retrospect backup everything from domain controllers to restore it?

I would be strange if you need open file backup to backup a domain controller since a domain controller is quite common for a server and even the free ms backup delivered with windows server can do it.

So in these directory's are the errors of files which retrospect 7 can't backup due to sharing violations:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data\

C:\System Volume Information\

C:\WINDOWS\system32\dhcp\

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wins\

And also some different creation date/time errors in:

C:\WINDOWS\repair\

C:\WINDOWS\Debug\UserMode\

Thanks for the help!

Hi,

When you are using the SQL agent to backup SQL directly you will still get open file errors unless you also have the Open Files add-on. These errors are not important, just make sure you are getting SQL backed up correctly via the agent by verifying "SQL Server" is listed in your sources for backup.

You might want to create a selector to exclude the SQL files from the system backup in order to reduce unsightly errors.

Hi Foster,

Thanks for the tip.

Do you also know the answer for the other files?

Is a domaincontroller fully backupped without the openfiles plugin?

For 1020's in general you will need the open file backup option. It's just that it isn't necessary to backup Exchange/SQL the same way as other files.

A domain controller's AD information should be backed up as part of the snapshot for that machine's C: drive. Check the properties of the snapshot by going to Configure>Backup Sets>(Backup set) Properties>Snapshots tab> (C: drive) Properties. You will see a list titled "Contains:" and you should have NTDS or active directory listed in there.

Hi,

Thanks for the explanation.

I think there should be a knowledgebase article for the backup of domain controllers and webservers since the backup of those servers are very common.

It's unclear what you really need for the restore, do I need those files or not?

The files which gives problems in:

C:\System Volume Information\

C:\WINDOWS\system32\dhcp\

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wins\

Are those temporary files or do I really need them, I assume these files give this error on all backups of domain controllers?

why is there sometimes active directory and sometimes ntds used in retropect.

For the win2000 server retrospect says it has backupped the active directory but for the 2003 server it says it has backupped the ntds. why the difference in naming?

Thanks for the help!

Archived