DELL E510

I'm not seeing a lot of answers on this board but I'd like to pipe in with comments

and opinions as I was researching devices (was asking about the sony 810).

What brand of drive is this ? I don't recognize what an HL-DT-ST is ?

They have a retrospect supported device list at:

http://www.emcinsignia.com/supportupdates/technical/retrospect/device/

This seems to only list older model DVD burners for many brands. Also I found it

not be accurate as the Windows RDU update history list support for models that

are not in the support database:

http://kb.dantz.com/display/2/index.asp?c=12&cpc=5GSK8V331KGNkyd4x263e7QPl325RA1mX&cid=2&cat=&catURL=&r=0.2875788

I did see some HLDS numbers in the supported list but no HL-DT ... what does this mean?

If Retrospect lets one configure a DVD burner that is not on the support list and backups and restores work is one ok then? Or, is it best to use one on the supported list?

• 2 weeks later...

Without giving away any "trade secrets", can you explain why it is that many of your competitors support "virtually all" CD DVD drives and retrospect supports "only these limited few"?

In this day and age of "standards" (yes I know :-) it seems to me that if the O/S can write to a drive, then essentially any application should be able to as well, yet retrospect is unable to write to the DVD drives that have come in the last 4 "mass market" computers that I've purchased.

I'd much prefer to stay with retrospect (been using it for more years than I care to remember), but with the limited support for drives you have it's becoming harder and harder for me to do so.

Bruce

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I found the answers here a bit slow/delayed..from EMC/retrospect folks.

I configured a Dell CD burner with retrospect no problem... perhaps it was older. It is

asked me to burn some cd's while it configured it. It is unclear if it just worked as a "custom"

device or if it was supported.

Recently I purchased a DVD NEC 7550 to use with Nero and Retrospect primarily because it was on the compatibility list.

I agree though, when one goes to buy a burner such as a

Plextor the model numbers are not on Retrospect's compatibility list. If one configures them

as "custom" support may be an issue ?? Perhaps Retrospect 7.5 supports some of

the latest and greatest model numbers .. It would seem also that any new device support

is now being added to 7.5 and there will be no more new device support for 7.0 ?

Actually I was more interested in an answer to the question of why their list of supported drives was, shall we say, limited when other vendors support "virtually all" CD/DVD drives. wink.gif

It's almost as if they haven't heard of "standards" like MMC

Bruce

Archived