Autoloader

• 1 month later...

Melissa,

Along the same lines as the original question in the thread. . .

I recently acquired an ADIC library (autoloader) which I am planning on adding to our NT 4.0 server running the latest version of Retrospect Server. In order for my backups to run unattended with the autoloader will I have to run at least one backup attended so I can "tell" it which tape to use next?

I'm not real clear on how Retrospect decides which tape to go to when the one it's currently writing is full. I've read the users manual in detail but in all honestly it's not much help. Neither is the owner's manual for the autoloader. . .

Am I correct in assuming I should name as many of the tapes as I expect to use for the backup set I'm running? After doing that should I let tell Retrospect to scan the library so it "sees" them?

Thanks for the help. I know there are a lot of permutations when it comes to autoloaders but I sure wish there was more detail in the documentation for both Retrospect and the hardware.

DNP

I'm not real clear on how Retrospect decides which tape to go to when the one it's currently writing is full. I've read the users manual in detail but in all honestly it's not much help.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Retrospect randomly will choose a slot and us the tape if it is empty. We do not recommend naming the tapes before hand as if they are not exactly right, Retrospect will not use them.

Let Retrospect do as it wishes. Put in blank new tapes. Then run the backup. Retrospect will use one and continue from there.

Archived