I am having trouble backing up my external Firewire drives. It works great but when backing up using Retro 5.0201, It gets about 150Megs into the backup and just stops. The log says:

- 5/23/2002 8:32:37 AM: Copying 80G…

5/23/2002 8:40:42 AM: Comparing 80G…

Bad backup set header found (0x8a760158 at 160,454).

File “movieBunless2.img”: miscompare at data offset 187,214, path: “80G/TB Summer/movieBunless2.img”.

This happened to me on my last attempt to backup this drive before these particular files were there, so its not the files that are the problem

For anyone at Dantz trying to analyze this one, here's a curve. I just unarchived files from the backup session mentioned above and even though the session had that problem and froze Retrospect (had to force quit) all of the files were on the DAT (SDT 9000) Firewire.

The log told me there was a problem and the backup was frozen and yet the backup was complete. I think the readouts told me that 150M of 450M were written.

The unarchived files I mention here were from the beginning and the end of the backup. So, the backup was complete.

This is a problem. I need to know if the backup has stopped or has completed.

More troubleshooting. I just archived another folder from my Firewire drive. Same thiing happened. It seemingly hangs on one file but continues to backup. Here is the Log entry:

- 5/23/2002 10:07:51 AM: Copying 80G…

5/23/2002 10:15:52 AM: Comparing 80G…

File “Cloud13.img”: miscompare at data offset 87,322,759, path: “80G/World Afoot/Cloud13.img”.

Bad backup set header found (0x9c918894 at 590,000).

And yet the Directory is correct and complete. And the backup was complete. I had to Force Quit to get out of Retrospect again.

Please respond.

I'm using OSX 10.1.4, Retrospect Desktop 5.0205, 1.5G ram, Sony SDT9000.

One more thing...Everytime I archive as described above, after I crash out retrospect has lost track of my SDT 9000. In other words, if I have a session like the one I've been describing and then Force Quit. And then open Retrospect up again, it doesn't know that I have an SDT 9000 in my system.

An additional note. Backing up from the internal HD did not cause the same errors. There was one execution error, however:

- 5/23/2002 11:53:57 AM: Copying Macintosh HD…

5/23/2002 1:12:27 PM: Comparing Macintosh HD…

File “Operations Log”: different data size (set: 16,439, vol: 16,502), path: “Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/Retrospect/Operations Log”.

5/23/2002 2:16:48 PM: 1 execution errors.

Completed: 17687 files, 5.5 GB

Performance: 78.2 MB/minute (70.9 copy, 87.2 compare)

Duration: 02:22:51 (00:01:16 idle/loading/preparing)

Try running OS X disk utilities on the external drive. How large are these files? Can you provide some more information? For example, you say that it gets 150 MB into the backup and freezes, but the log excerpt shows that it's finished the backup and is into the compare phase.

For the files that report these errors, are you able to drag them from the FireWire disk to the local disk?

Please provide:

Computer Model and speed

OS X version and build

Device (from Retrospect's Configure > Devices > Device Status window)

Device firmware (in the version column of the Device Status window)

Device interface

Media brand and size

Other Devices

If an external device, please provide:

Adapter Card

Adapter Card firmware

Adapter Card driver for OS X

Thanks,

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support

Computer Model and speed - Desktop G4 Dual 1G

OS X version and build - 10.1.4

Device (from Retrospect's Configure > Devices > Device Status window) - SDT-9000

Device firmware (in the version column of the Device Status window) - 0600

Device Driver - Sony DAT DDS-DC (4.08)

Device interface - Firewire

Media brand and size - Fujifilm 125M

Other Devices - ATAPI-B Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-104 A212 Pioneer DVD/CD-RW (1.51)

If an external device, please provide:

Adapter Card - No adapter card- using Apple's built-in firewire

Adapter Card firmware

Adapter Card driver for OS X

Could you provide the other information requested as well please?

> Try running OS X disk utilities on the external drive. How large are these files? Can you provide some more information? For example, you say that it gets 150 MB into the backup and freezes, but the log excerpt shows that it's finished the backup and is into the compare phase.

For the files that report these errors, are you able to drag them from the FireWire disk to the local disk?

The drives work perfectly in every other case. As I mentioned in my other reply, the file sizes vary between 20K or less to 800M or so. IN any case, none are larger than 2G.

There are no "files" that report these errors. Ii can move any file anywhere and any time. The problem is that Retrospect loses track of the backup. The log says nothing and the status bar just stops moving. Retrospect has to be forced to quit.

I don't think I ever mentioned that the log says it is in compare phase. The log doesn't get any more feedback from the program after it moves through this "lost" phase. (This is my guess, educated by 15 years of Mac usage with computer graphics)

What I did say (or mean to say) is that if I wait for a long time after Retrospect has "frozen" and then crash out and then reboot the computer, I can go to the Directory for that most recent tape and find that the archive was complete. I can't tell anything from the log. I have unarchived some of the data and found it to be intact. I have not unarchived ALL of any backup to see if it is intact.

I backup in increments-I do not backup entire discs. I backup files (shows) that I have completed.

No, its not related to the specific file. As you can see from some of my previous posts(05/23/02 10:39 AM), I get similar messages from other files on the drive. The drive works fine. I can render in AE fine (retrieving those files).

I tried to archive an entirely different folder this weekend and it did the same. Today I archived FROM MY INTERNAL DRIVE and the archive went to completion.

In reply to:

The drives work perfectly in every other case

Except that in no other case are you using multiple FireWire devices at the same time!

I would suggest trying some File type Backup Sets of your FireWire HD, with the FireWire tape drive off the bus. See how the program behaves with a smaller set of interacting hardware.

Other questions that remain unanswered:

- What is the brand/model of your FW hard drive?

- Do you daisy chain the two FW devices? If you do, have you tried changing the order? Or have you tried different configurations of these two devices?

- Are there more then two FW devices in use?

- "Archive" is a specific term in Retrospect. Are you actually archiving files?

Dave

"more info! more info!"

I have used Firewire to Firewire. I have two external drives (one on another system at the moment) that have exchanged data many times. I also have a Firewire CD writer and have created CDs from Firewire to Firewire.

What is a "File type Backup Set"?

I have changed the order in chaining so that now the drive is direct to the computer and the tape is direct to the computer. They were chained together. Same thing happens.

I don't know if I'm actually "archiving" files since archiving is specific to Retrospect. I am putting files on a DAT tape so that I can use them later if I need them. I think, by reading these posts, you will be able to determine if I am archiving or not.

I don't know the manufacturer of the device but it was assembled by ClubMac.

Before I've finished this form I did the archive (or file backup) from OS9. Works fine.

Please tell the people at Dantz to get working on their OSX version. Who can I call for a refund?

Archived