Backup file larger than original volume?

I was just doing a bit of looking around on my drives/volumes (way too many) when I noticed that the volume to which I do my backups is almost full. I did a little comparing and found that the size of each backup file is about 2.5 times the original contents.

Is this normal and I just haven't noticed it before? Why are these files so huge?

Thanks - JAY

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem with a first time backup. Using Retrospect Express 6.1 on Mac OSX 10.4.5, I tried to execute a backup for the first time on a new 500GB Maxtor drive (423GB free after creating a separate 40GB boot partition). The source files totaled 367GB and contained a total of approximately 200,000 files. It ran out of space after several hours. So after re-formatting the partition to free up the maximum space, I tried a backup of just one user account containing 172GB and about 36,000 files. The resulting backup file was 210GB, which is over 20% larger than the source.

This just doesn't seem right to me.

Thanks

Quote:

The resulting backup file was 210GB, which is over 20% larger than the source.

Retrospect does more then just copy files blindly into one large file.

The cataloging of the files takes overhead, which is where the extra space is used.

When you do subsequent Backups, the Backup Set (likely split into two files) will continue to grow as changed files are added to the Backup Set, plus whatever additional overhead is necessary.

But this is all good, because you will have running versions available to Restore if you need to.

Archived