BU to USB hard drives swapping weekly

I just got Retrospect Ver 7.5 and am slightly overwhelmed w/ the 300 plus page manual. I am running Win XP sp2 and just purchased two external drives which I plan on swapping on a regular basis.

My "Plan A" is to run a full backup and then setup a script to run a normal backup every morning. Then every week I will swap drives and continue daily backups.

When I swap drives the first time, will Retrospect do a full backup on the empty drive since nothing is there? -- When I swap in the drive w/ an older backup set should I be deleting that set or just leave it alone?

Thanks for the assist.

I'm just begining to figure out how this all works. As I swap drives and have the proper script for the proper device, files not yet backed up to a particular set will then be backed up -- Is it safe to say that Retrospect is not totally dependant obn the archive designation on a file.

Charles

Hi Charles,

Retrospect did not make use of the archive bit until 7.5, even then it is only used to determine security information. Matching of files is performed based on a list of different attributes of the file. So any change at all to the file will cause Retrospect to back that file up again, whether or not you set the archive bit.

Here is a KB article that discusses this topic:

http://kb.dantz.com/article.asp?article=6173&p=2

Archived