bootable image

pasbman

I'm trying to use Retrospect Express to duplicate my hard drive image onto a second hard drive. Everything seems to go okay. However Windows XP will not boot from the second hard drive when I configure it do so. I have checked all the obvious things, jumper settings, bios settings, etc. Is this a limitation of Retrospect or should I be able to duplicate my hard drive and then boot from that image? If this is a Retrospect Express limitation, does anyone have suggestions as to a what software would easily allow for this. My goal is to have a current image on my second drive, so if my first fails then I can just boot off the second drive and be back up in a few minutes. My drives are a 40 GB Western Digital and 120 GB Western Digital. Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Hi --

If a disk clone is all you're trying to do, Retrospect is serious overkill. Use XCOPY or XXCOPY with the /CLONE option.

Note though that if you have the type of problem that corrupts your HD (power hit, software glitch, etc) you could loose both your master *and* your online fallback. Do you have a plan to cope with that?

Ian

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I just installed a KWI HDD Mobile Rack from TCComputers, $39, which allows me to use my 80gb hard drive as removable storage. I can back up to this drive, use as offline storage, and remove from the computer (not hot swappable, however). I plan on buying a second "drawer", and a third hard drive, which will allow me to have a second drive in the computer, and the third one offsite, and alternate between the two. The rack connects directly to the ide bus, which means access is the same as and is just as fast as the same hard drive mounted internally.

I had heard of these but never looked at the price. Thanks for the head's up. Now all I need to be *really* happy is some way of attaching it to a laptop!

Ian

If your looking to seriously "clone" your HD/Partition, then my reconmendation would be Ghost or Image Cast!

Ghost is more user friendly for the beginner to novice user.

IMage Cast is extremely more robust.

Either one will give you what you want and even image the drive or partition to CD-R media using the "Spanning" feature incorporated in both across multiple disc's.

Good luck!

T

Archived