2 Full 4.3 Versions act as 1 + Client?

Can 2 full standalone versions of 4.3 for Mac work as 1 + a client?

After getting a network settled to 2 servers (file and print), I have decided to expand the backup schema to include a client backup of the 2nd server. What I would like to do is continue using our already installed 4.3 on the file server (which has the single backup drive connected to it), and then use it to connect to the second server to back it up.

Obviously I do not have a client license, but I do have 2 full 4.3 licenses, which should still work? It of couse isn't working, cause when I try entering the 2nd license into the license manager it returns an error of not a valid license.

Any information on this would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Kirk

• 2 weeks later...

scenario:

Computer A has Retrospect. (This one has Backup Drive attached to it)

Computer B has Retrospect.

You are removing Retrospect from Computer B and you want to backup Computer B to Computer A(is what I gathered.)

I assume these computers are networked together. I also assume that you are using the Express version.

From this, Let's say you are doing an immediate backup. Mount Computer B onto Computer A's desktop. Open Retrospect. Under Immediate/Backup click on Sources. Choose the mounted computer as your source (What you want to backup!). Then continue through. This is how you would choose that computer to be backed up.

I hope this helps!

Melissa,

Thank you for the suggestion. However, there are a few other issues that are preventing me from moving in that direction. I will borrow your reference notations.

Computer A has Retrospect 4.3 Full Version (no express). This runs nightly incremental and weekly full backups of our file server. This machine is locked down to admin access only for running apps directly on the server such as Retrospect.

Computer B currently only has the network client extension of Retrospect installed. This is a print server and has had all file sharing capabilities removed as users often need to access it locally to view the print queues. AppleShareIP print admin requires admin access to open. I only want local access to for the users using a local admin account, hence the the ability to share items on that server has been removed so that they cannot migrate to other areas of the network using that local account.

What I need to do is use the Network Client Backup through the installed 4.3 Full version of Retrospect on Computer A to access the client that resides on Computer B. We have 2 full copies of 4.3 (purchased before I signed onto this job). Is there a way that 1 of those 2 full licenses can be used in place of 1 network client license?

Thanks,

Kirk

Ahhh I think I got it.

>>>What I need to do is use the Network Client Backup through the installed 4.3 Full version of Retrospect on Computer A to access the client that resides on Computer B. We have 2 full copies of 4.3 (purchased before I signed onto this job). Is there a way that 1 of those 2 full licenses can be used in place of 1 network client license? <<<

Your full version of Retrospect doesn't have any client license's. You need one client licence in order to backup that client that you have installed on Computer B.

I see what you mean. Honestly this is a Customer Service issue. You should call them and see if they can help you out with a client. I know we do have single pack of clients (I believe for 29.95).

Their number is 1800 225 4880. That can help you with this issue.

Melissa,

Thank you for the info and phone number. The representative was able to assist me and I am setting up the client right now. I was unsure what version of Retrospect 4.3 we had as the box simply says Retrospect (no express / workgroup / desktop / etc). Using my serial numbers she looked up and found we had 2 workgroup copies and then provided me with necessary client license number that corresponded to one of my copies. I'll be backing up this weekend...finally!!!

Thanks again,

Kirk

Archived