Recovery

terry

Just installed a Sony external USB CD-RW and Retrospect Express. I have completed backup set ( 5.1 GB ) on 9 CD-RWs. This is my C drive in case of failure. I am confused about the Recovery CD. System is windows 98 and it boots from diskette, so I don't understand how the recovery cd would work. Can I just boot from windows 98 diskette, install windows, retrospect express, then restore entire C drive? Just a bit confused as to how this will work. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Can I just boot from windows 98 diskette, install windows, retrospect express, then restore entire C drive?

Yes you can do this.

The bootable Disaster Recovery CD just speeds this process up. It replaces the bootable floppy. You boot from the CD, it installs Windows for you and Retrospect and prompts you for the entire disk restore.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I am in the same situation as Terry but I have a question that was not addressed concerning our situation. If I understand correctly from reading the forum and FAQ's, the Disaster Recovery disk or "DR" can only be booted up and restored from a CD-RW not from my laptop CD-ROM. Well Mellisa, I use the Sony external USB CD-RW and my question is will Windows 98SE see USB 2.0, or 1.1 from DOS for that matter, to be able to access the CD-RW drive to use the DR? Or am I mixed up here? Can I restore using the DR created by Express from my laptop CD-ROM drive? If not, what do I do in that case?

Thank you!

Dan in Arizona :^)

PS - Good question Terry.

Right. You cannot use a CDROM to restore from using Retrospect.

BUT you can use a CDROM to boot from a DR cd and do a DR restore. a DR cd is nothing like a normal Retrospect cd.

So you would boot up with this DR cd you created in your CD ROM drive.

You would run the DR....it would restore a system.

It would then launch retrospect and want to do a Restore of your backup. At that point you must put your media in your CDRW drive that you want to restore.

Hope this helps.

Archived