errors 100 and 103 with new DVD writer

The DVD writer that came with my HP Pavilion a230n expired. I went over to Best Buy and bought a new HP DVD Writer 740b, which has all the latest bells and whistles (faster, double layer, Lightscribe). Installed it and Retrospect when through the custom configuration with no complaints for both DVD and CD. But as soon as it started doing a real backup to the DVD, it stopped with "Error -100: device rejected command". It does this after writing a few tracks -- just enough to coasterize the DVD.

I hadn't installed the OEM version of Nero that came with the drive, so I did so just in case it made a difference. Nero was able to burn 1.5GB with no trouble. Brought up Retrospect, deleted the custom configuation, and did a new custom configuration, this time for DVD only. It still fails, at the same spot, although now the message is "error -103: unexpected beginning of media".

This ought to work, right? That is, since Retrospect completed the custom configuration, using this device is supported? I will probably be calling Dantz tomorrow but thought I'd try to get a head start here first. All ideas welcome.

Retrospect Professional 6.5, Windows XP SP2 with all the latest updates.

Edward

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Nate,

Thanks for the response. By the time you posted, I had upgraded to 7.0 (no help), talked wtih tech support, returned the drive, tried another from BB with the same results, returned that, ordered a precertified drive, a Plextor PX-716A (and paid for overnight shipping so I'd get it before I left town), and successfully wrote many DVDs worth of backups. I also later got the 7.5 upgrade (at no charge since I'd just bought 7.0).

Tonight, though, I got the "device rejected command" error again. I inserted the previous DVD to start the compare, and immediately got

File blahblah didn't compare.

An error occurred during the verifiation step. The MD5 digest for the file blahblah did not match.

Trouble readin: "11-DVD B [002]" (146502), error -100 (device rejected command".

It did complete 3 files and 8MB, so it wasn't quite immediate.

Dunno when I'll have time to call tech support. Dunno if the rest of the backup is any good. (It's really annoying that after any kind of interruption, I can't tell Retrospect to finish the compare pass. I haven't had time to look at the new verify feature to see whether it will help in this respect.) I don't know why Retrospect assumes that the rest of the backup is fine after a fatal compare pass error -- I've never found a way to force it to recopy the uncompared files, much less to do so as the default.

Edward

Oh, and it just happened AGAIN. Different DVD. This time with additionally a couple of dozen "bad backup set header found" messages. This looks like errors reading the data, but it's hard to know for sure.

I don't know why DVD writers are so loath to report details of errors. I know isn't Retrospect's fault, but it IS Retrospect's fault that I can't repeat a failed backup.

Edward

Archived