Operating Problem

I have recently installed the Maxtor Onetouch 2 300 GB hard drive and initially it worked fine.

Went away for a couple of weeks and now the unit will not back up.

When I double click on the desktop icon, the main Menu page appears, but when "Setup/Restore" selected, the Menu page disappears and nothing happens.

If I operate the "OneTouch" button the following message appears:

Retrospect.exe- Commom Language Routine Debugging Services

Application has generated an exception that could not be handled.

Process id=0x9uc(2476), Thread id=0x8(216)

Click OK to terminate the application

Click Cancel to debug the application.

Clicking Cancel produces the following message;

retrospect.exe- No debugging found.

Registered JIT debugger is not available. An attempt to launch JIT debugger with the following command resulted in an error code of 0x2(2). Please check computer settings.

cord.exe!0x9a

Click Retry to have process wait while attaching a debugger manually.

Click on Cancel to abort the JIT debug required.

When "Retry" selected, nothing happens.

Can anyone shed some light on this problem?

I have exactly the same problem and the same message, thought my computer was crazy. No I know it is not my PC so it must be something in the program. I even tried to update without success.

Please help someone.

Hi

Like you I have tried almost everything and now I found out that my Maxtor HD is locked. Maybe you have the same problem? Next problem is to unlock it and I have not managed to do that. It does not work frown.gif

I gave up and is now running SyncBack instead of Retrospect.

Hi Simon.

I followed the instructions as per the link. This refers to a "Common Language Runtime Debugging Service"

The first 2 steps failed to fix my problem.

I had to do the additional step of repairing the .Net Framework......That was still no good.

I then had to complete the last stage of the fix and that is the download a utility fix that is a .Net Framework Uninstall Utility.

This can be found at http://astebner.sts.winisp.net/Tools/dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip

After going through all that, the original message that we have all come to know and love disappeared and was replaced with another indicating that there was an initilisation failure.

I then reinstalled the software from the Maxtor CD and .......................fixed.

All is now working as advertised, but what a frustrating experience.

Xana had the same problem as me, so I hope that she hasn't gone mad like me trying to fix this problem.

Paul.

:

Paul, interesting and thanks for the reply;

>>.I then reinstalled the software from the Maxtor CD and .......................fixed.

Did you do a full reinstall from the original CD or just the .NET piece by running;

D:\Bin\Retrospect Express HD\English\1033dotnetfx.exe

I've since uninstalled everything using add/remove renamed any rsidual folders and run CClenaer to get rid of old unusued DLL's etc, rebooted and started from scratch.

Still didn't work, lokks like I'll be turning to Syncback too!

Simon

Hi Simon.

Sorry to hear that you hear been unsuccessful.

When reinstalling the software from the Maxtor CD I selected the "repair" option.

This appeared to work.

Good luck.

Paul.

Archived