My Macintosh G3 crashed a few weeks ago. I lost half of my Database on ACT. The Retrospect Directory was corrupted and I was unable to access the backup files on tape. Fortunately I had a knowledgeable Mac Repair Person rebuild the directory and he successfully restored my database. In the crash I also lost my emails on Netscape and 4GB on the harddrive have opened up on the Harddrive. It now appears that 4GB are missing.

My repair person tells me that the email can not be restored since the automatic backup resaved the Inbox as an empty file before he came to repair the email. I thought that Restospect adds on to the existing file and does not delete emails. He told me that if Retrospect sees that the file is now empty it just resaves the file as an empty file. I always thought that Retrospect just keeps building and does not delete.

Can I restore my emails on Netscape or are they gone forever?

How do I restore the emails?

Where did the 4GB go?

Normal backups add files to the end of the backup, and Recycle backups erase the older files and replace them with the new ones. If you did a Recycle backup then those old backup files aren't there any more, but if you did a Normal backup, you should be able to restore the older versions of the files. Check your operations log for whether the last backup was normal or recycle.

If it was normal, try a restore by search. Leave the search criteria blank to find ALL files in that set, and you can then browse through those files to find the versions that you need.

Archived