Automatic Backup Defer

dladmin

Can anyone tell me why a Client machine would automatically defer a backup?

I am using the windows based retrospect 6.5 and I have one laptop (proactive backup) that will defer the backup everytime its executed. It does not give the user the chance to either backup or defer.

I'm backing up around 15 computers and this is the only one thats giving me fits. I have tried to uninstall retrospect and reinstall on the client machine. I have taken the user completely out of the backup machine and readded them.

Thanks.

I am having the same problem all of a sudden. I did need to take the machine off the network, rename it and then rejoin it. Seems to be related to that but every time it polls, says preparing for open file backup then goes back to ready while the server logs say it was deferred

It is a real issue

I tried installing the latest windows version and uninstalled - reinstalled the client

hanks in advance

It started AFTER I took it off the network, renamed it and addd it back to the domain. The defer option window does not even pop up.

I have installed ACT 2006 Workgroups, Quickbooks 2006 but those are on other workstations. I can do an immediate back-up but the autmatic defers on every script for that machine.

very frustrating..

Larry

Nate:

Already did that - client is 7.0.107

Server is 7.0.265 update 7.0.10.101

It seems to be just this machine like something I loaded telling it to defer without the window ever appearing. Seems fine on the other 3 workstations and I have been doing immediate backups to be safe and they work - just the proactive ones do not

Thanks

Larry

• 3 months later...

I am having this exact same problem with one of my Windows clients. An immedite deferral without any user interaction. Doesn't wait the set time or anything.

I completely uninstalled the client, re-installed the latest version 6.5.13x (6 or 8, just downloaded it today) of the client - since I am using Retrospect Server 6.1.126 on the Mac.

I haven't tried using the version 7 of the Windows client yet, but it sounds like this didn't resolve the issue for some.

I have McAfee Virus Scan on this machine, but it shows that Retrospect has full access and all my local IPs also have full access, so I don't think this is it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There might be a third party conflict on the client. Try going to Run and type MSCONFIG. In the utility that comes up go to Services and check the box to Hide All Microsoft Services. Then hit Disable All, which will uncheck everything that is left. Next, go down and check Retrospect Client so that it is the only item enabled. On the Startup tab check "Disable All" and reboot.

Try a Proactive Backup. If the problem goes away, then start selectively enabling the services and startup items (with reboot) to see where the conflict is.

Note: MSCONFIG is available on Win98, XP and 2003. For Win2000 computers you can do a search on the internet to find a copy that can be download to the client.

Archived