Error messages and more....

Hey, I am a newbie in using Retrospect and have several questions.

the log ]see below] shows 6 errors that appear during the compare process. Are they serious errors that we should be concerned about?

We also wanted to backup the D: drive, but the log only mentions the C: drive. Was the D: drive backed up? Will the log indicate that the backups were successful?

If I wanted to reformat the external Hard Drive, how do I reload the one touch files for Retrospect?

Thank you for your help.

Bob

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Configuration information below:

Retrospect 6.5

Western Digital Media Center WD Serial #: WMAM31026977 MDL: WD1600B012 - RNN Order #: WDXF1600JBRN The CD says Media Center & Ext. Hard Dr. with Dual-option Backup (release 1.1)

Laptop is a Dell Inspiron 7500 with Windows 2000 (5.00.2195 Service Pack 4)

=====================================================================================

+ Duplicate using WD Backup On Demand at 12/4/2005 3:42 PM

To volume Backup of 5gb © on WD MediaCtr (I:)...

- 12/4/2005 3:42:31 PM: Copying 5gb (C:)

File "C:\WINNT\Internet Logs\tvDebug.log": appears incomplete

File "C:\WINNT\SoftwareDistribution\EventCache\{28EEE77F-9873-4112-8291-36570A03C7F8}.bin": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\WINNT\system32\wbem\Repository\CIM.REC": appears incomplete

File "C:\WINNT\Temp\JET211B.tmp": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\WINNT\Temp\JET9160.tmp": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\WINNT\Temp\ZLT04256.TMP": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

12/4/2005 4:39:46 PM: Comparing Backup of 5gb © on WD MediaCtr (I:)

12/4/2005 5:45:59 PM: 6 execution errors

Completed: 14705 files, 2.7 GB

Performance: 45.3 MB/minute (49.7 copy, 41.5 compare)

Duration: 02:03:26 (00:01:38 idle/loading/preparing)

================================================================================

Hi

The debug.log file probably changed a bit during the time the backup was running.

The 1020 errors are caused by files that are in use and therefore locked by another program. Retrospect can't access these files. To avoid the errors, make sure to close as many programs as possible when running a backup.

All in all it looks like you have a good backup. These are temp files so the errors don't matter much.

Thanks

Nate

Nate:

Thank you for your reply.

Would you, please, comment on theses questions:

We also wanted to backup the D: drive, but the log only mentions the C: drive. Was the D: drive backed up? Will the log indicate that the backups were successful?

If I wanted to reformat the external Hard Drive, how do I reload the one touch files for Retrospect?

TIA for your help

Bob8627

Archived