Retrospect 7 doesn't see a client

About 2 months ago I set up Retrospect Pro 7 (the one with 2 client licenses) at a client's site, and both client machines were noticed immediately by Retrospect. I set everything up and it ran great.

Now several weeks later, one client just absolutely won't show up via multicast. I tried adding its IP address, and it saw the client but I got an "unknown error" when I tried to add it.

All machines are Win XP, SP2. They have a business class cable line with a wireless Linksys router, though the backup program and clients are all using the Ethernet ports.

The client machine I'm not seeing with Retrospect shows up fine in Network Neighborhood from the machine running Retrospect, and vice versa from the client computer.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the client. The only thing that's changed recently was the purchase of an additional 5-client license, none of which are actually being used yet.

I'm stumped. Any help is most appreciated as I don't have time this week to spend at the client's site on hold with Dantz support.

I got a similar problem after updating 1 client computer with sp2.

After updating and adjusting the sp2 firewall settings (as described in the knowlegde base) it can't add that client anymore while it was working fine before. It can see it but that's all, it won't backup or can see it's harddisks.

And when starting up Retro on the backup computer, Retro will hang and won't respond and the only problem to fix it is turning off the Retro client program from the client computer (which got problems backing up).

My next ''fix'' will be uninstalling sp2 and see if it can backup again but I rather see a fix ofcourse.

Btw i am using 6.5xx

Before you completely uninstall SP2, try just turning off the firewall completely and see what happens. This might tell you if you're configuring the firewall correct to allow Retro thru.

Is SP2 only on the client or also the server running Retro? Could the firewall problem be at the other end?

Ok I have uninstalled SP2 and still the same deal, so it seems it isn't a sp2 problem.

Retro will completely hang at the startup screen unless I put the backup client on ''off'' in the control panel.

When I turned this troublesome client on after retrospect started correctly on the backup computer I can add his harddrives but not the computer. So I can look his harddrives up in the network and add them to the backup script but not the normal way of adding the computer name, I can add it but nothing will be backed up and it doesn't see his harddrives when going to the properties from the client giving an error it can't see this client.

Archived