Backup app crashes when selecting client volume

paulrs

RE: Retrospect 5.0.25, OS X Server 10.1.4, Retrospect client 5.6 on windows 2000

All,

Whenever I try to select a subvolume from a windows client, the Backup app just crashes. There's nothing in the system's console.log regarding the crash, and there appears to be nothing of note in /Library/Preferences/Retrospect. Is this a known bug?

This is not a known issue. Can you providee more details? How are you selecting the volume? What kind of crash? Does Retrospect just quit?

Have you tried reinstalling the client software? Have you tried with new Retrospect preferences?

I'd be happy to provide more details. What more specifically do you want?

I just went back and tried the process again. I am using the Volume Selection panel to navigate to the C drive of the client machine in question. I then click on the Subvolume button.

Interestingly, the crash is no longer happening. I believe when I tried this earlier, the Retrospect app would quit as soon as I hit the Subvolume button (it would just quit, no error messages, nothing). I tried it three or four times in a row, and it crashed everytime in the same spot.

My only guess as to what might have been happening is this. When I just tried to recreate the process, I was not logged into the client machine. My login on the client is configured to mount a network drive (a samba share on one of my OS X machines ). My best guess is that this was somehow causing the problem. I tried to recreate the problem by quitting retrospect and logging in on the client and then restarting retrospect and going through the process again, but it would not happen. In the Retrospect app, after logging in on the client machine, I did not see the mounted network drive in the list of choices in teh Volume Selection panel. When the app was crashing before, I believe that this drive was appearing in the list. I will post back if I can get it to happen more reliably or if I have more info.

Thanks,

Paul

Archived