Backup Squedual

I have setup a normal backup script for monday through thursday. On Friday we do a recycle backup manually and take it off grounds (this backup not included in backup set). The mon-thur script worked fine until Wednesday rolled around again now it wants tape 3(monday) when it should want tape 1(wednesday) and my backup crashes. I have tryied to fix this with your knowladgebase but have been unsuccessfull. Please help me thanks in advance.

Mon-Thursday Normal backup (same 4 tapes every week)

Friday a full backup to take off site. (new tape every friday)

If this back seems unconventional or not right let me know what you suggest

Yes its going to the "mon-thurs" backup set. This is the only backup set configured. But if I put mondays tape in and "check media" it says its good to go and it works. But I should be putting in Wednesday media.

If you want to use a different tape every day then you need to have a backupset that corresponds with that tape every day.

i.e.

Monday = goes to Monday's Backupset

Tues goes to Tues backupset.

etc.

One for each day. Total of 5 if doing M-F.

That way when you put in Mondays...it will go to Mondays. Wed will go to Wed etc. This is the correct way in configuring your scripts.

Heres another Question... If I want to do a Full backup (no incremental) every Friday to take off site and store away how do I do this? Create a recycle backup on Friday? Will this messup my other backup sets?

Create a NEW MEDIA backup every Friday....that will create a new backupset on Friday that will be on a new tape.

If you do a recycle, it will erase everything it backed up during the week and rebackup what is there.... That is taking a chance as what if it erases the media, then attempts to backup and the power goes out? You will lose everything you backed up all week. Thus, a Recycle is not recommended on Friday's.

Archived