Complete Restore with only a Duplicate?

coolcr

We have a laptop whose NTFS partition was reformated and Windows XP SP2 re-installed. A Retrospect Express 6.0 Duplicate of the entire C: drive was made to a MAXTOR external USB drive prior to the reformat/reinstall. A Disaster Recovery bootable CD was never made. Is there a way to go back to the original image using the Duplicate backup?

Any suggestions or links to helpful documention would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-=Chris in Milwaukee=-

Clarification: I know I can drag & drop files from my duplicate backup location. The problem is that there was some software installed (Quickbooks) for which they cannot find the CD to reinstall the application. If they can't find the install CD for the application, I told them they will probably have to buy it again, then import the data from the Duplicate backup, unless someone on this forum has a better suggestion. Thanks.

I take it that this is true for any version of Windows Retrospect -- Express, Professional, etc.?

That is, in Windows XP there is no way to make a bootable "clone" duplicate (when restored) of a hard drive volume using Retrospect? (A bootable "clone" backup is possible under Mac OS X, yes?) I coud not find this said anywhere clearly (and simply) in the documentation.

Hi

Retrospect Professional includes the option to duplicate system state and registry information so you can make a bootable clone. Partitioning can be a bit of a pain...

I recommend starting an install of XP on the cloned disk to get the partitions right and the MBR right. Then perform the duplicate using Retrospect.

Thanks

Nate

Archived