Error 1123 (volume structure corrupt)

hardman007

Hi Ya

I have started getting the following error now I do backups with retro express 6.5 - can't write, error -1123 (volume structure corrupt)

I haev an external WD 250G HD ruuning on NTFS. I have reformatted, run dskchk and both destination and source drives (also defragged C) and still the errors for a lot(but not all) files trying to backup my PC.

Also fget some offset errors but not too fussed about those just yet

Any suggestions or is it a HD error on the PC or my WD HD?

Thought I'd ask before ringing the manufacturer and seeing if the WD HD has nay bad sectors etc

Thanks

Craig

Hi Ya

Just to be clear you want the just snippets of the logs? as below

Initial back up log

+ Duplicate using WD Backup On Demand 1,136 at 05/11/2005 10:32

To volume Backup of Data (D) on DRV4_VOL1 (I:)...

- 05/11/2005 10:32:01: Copying Data (D:)

Folder "I:\Retrospect Backup\Backup of Data (D)\data\pc_mirror\Gala 1\Airtime\": can't write, error -1123 (volume structure corrupt)

Folder "I:\Retrospect Backup\Backup of Data (D)\data\photos\amanda\C@fenet\": can't write, error -1123 (volume structure corrupt)

Folder "I:\Retrospect Backup\Backup of Data (D)\data\photos\amanda\arg_east_chil_bol\": can't write, error -1123 (volume structure corrupt)

then...............

05/11/2005 10:58:44: Comparing Backup of Data (D) on DRV4_VOL1 (I:)

File "D:\data\photos\amanda\arg_east_chil_bol\IMGP0386.JPG": can't read, error -1123 (volume structure corrupt)

File "D:\data\photos\amanda\arg_east_chil_bol\IMGP0387.JPG": can't read, error -1123 (volume structure corrupt)

File "D:\data\photos\amanda\arg_east_chil_bol\IMGP0388.JPG": can't read, error -1123 (volume structure corrupt)

File "D:\data\photos\amanda\arg_east_chil_bol\IMGP0389.JPG": can't read, error -1123 (volume structure corrupt)

File "D:\data\photos\craig\SA_2004\SA_19\Thumbs.db": didn't compare at offset 92,040 in stream "Data"

finally...........

05/11/2005 11:18:21: 9,238 execution errors

Completed: 40916 files, 11.0 GB

Performance: 488.1 MB/minute (426.3 copy, 571.3 compare)

Duration: 00:46:19 (00:00:26 idle/loading/preparing)

after intial back up try and back up again (only replacing dif files)

+ Duplicate using WD Backup On Demand 1,136 at 05/11/2005 11:35

To volume Backup of Data (D) on DRV4_VOL1 (I:)...

- 05/11/2005 11:35:20: Copying Data (D:)

While scanning volume DRV4_VOL1,

Folder I:\Retrospect Backup\Backup of ...,

Scanning incomplete, error -1123 (volume structure corrupt)

Scanning incomplete, error -1123 (volume structure corrupt)

it does finally complete with same errors

when you go the folders with the errors - e,g \data\photos\amanda\arg_east_chil_bol\ on I: you can't access it, on the 2nd back up it sets up \data\photos\amanda\arg_east_chil_bol(1) and sometime you can open this and read the files

Let me know what you think

Thanks

Craig

Hi

>>Let me know what you think

I think the volume structure is corrupt wink.gif

If you can't open the files that give errors that is a dead giveaway that there are problems on the disk. Have you run scandisk to try to fix them? You may need to delete the problem files and folders.

Thanks

Nate

Hi Nat

I have reformatted and run dskchk with fix errors many times and then run backup again to no avail.

>>If you can't open the files that give errors that is a dead giveaway that there are problems on the disk

Are you referring to the WD HD (Destination drive) or my local disk (source) I am copying from?

Sounds like I should send it back and get a new one (is still under warranty)

Thanks

Craig

Hi Nate

Not sure where to go from here. I have used Windows XP and Data Lifeguard to reformat the disk and run disk check adn full S.M.A.R.T scan all ok. How do I go about findind and fixing the virtual structure of the disk?

BTW noticed that the WD HD has decided to unformat from NTFS and is now in a RAW state. Note these prbelms only started when I chnage teh HD from FAT32 to NTFS may I refromat back to FAT32 (with the WD untility) an see what happens?

Not sure how many time I have refromatted the ick and run scans but it is well into double figures so any help on what to do next is appreciated.

Thanks

Craig

Hi

"Volume structure" means the logical hierarchy of files and folders. Chances are it is a problem with folders and how they are recorded on disk.

Reformatting the Western Digital drive will fix the problem on that drive. I recommend using NTFS.

If the errors still occur then it is likely a problem on the soruce disk.

Thanks

Nate

Archived