Grooming vs Recycle

I am using 7.0.3.101 Multiserver with Exchange and SQL add ons. I am backing up 37 servers to a 3 TB drive array. What I would like to happen is to have Retrospect keep the last 10 days backups for each server. But I see that the grooming will groom back 10 backups which I guess is close enough. However Since Retrospect is doing a Progressive backup, only changed files are backed up, will the grooming delete the original full backup leaving me with a server I cant restore? In this case I will have 10 incremental backups that only have files changed in the last 10 days. If this is the case, should I do a recycle backup every 10 days so I always have that full backup? I cant find a good explination of what is happening with the grooming.

No, grooming dont delete complete base backup (or incremental ones), but only files that dont exist anymore in newer snapshots (and in original source) or are changed with other version (overwritted). It just rearranges complete backup-set.

Hi

Grooming is much smarter than that.

Retrospect bases everything on snapshots. A snapshot is a list of files and folders required to do a full restore to a given point in time. When grooming occurs Retrospect deletes old snapshots and removes any files that are no longer needed by current snapshots.

Keep in mind that even old data is retained if it is required by a snapshot. Grooming isn't a simple matter of just deleting files because they are old or were backed up a long time ago.

Thanks

Nate

Archived