backing up while nas is in use

This is my first posting, and I am a new user to retro. Iv'e searched the forums, the manual, and have apparently missed the answer. A little background...I am running a peer to peer network of macs w/ 1 winbox, and a NAS Snap Server. All of our storage is done on the Snap 240 gb, and we rarely use any filesharing between the workstations. Other than the Snap, we don't have a tradional fileserver which the oher workstations log in as "clients". Being p to p, the word client is almost foreign to me, as my boss has thrown me into this job with no formal IT education. I can't even figure out how to use the ASIP we bought...enough. My question is...Can I run a backup of our NAS Snap to my machine running retro(backup server??) during the day while me and my colleagues are accessing files on the server? I assume anything that changes during the backup would be caught the next day in our "normal" backup. Is this true?

"Server" and "client" in your situation are relative; if you install Retrospect Server on your workstation, it's the "server;" if you then back up another computer, from yours, then that other one is a "client."

So, the short answer is yes, absolutely.

There is a qualifier, however. If you do daytime backups of the Snap server while you & your colleagues are using it, any files that you have opened, won't get backed up. And, any files that you open during the backup, won't compare properly, and won't get backed up.

So, daytime backups sort of suck.

You can always give it a go, then watch the logs & see what files are in use during the day and not getting backed up, then decide what to do at that point.

Thank you so much KingMongo for your quick response. I can say that I at least did understand what a cliet is. thanks. Am i correct in assuming that any files that don't get backed up in this once and only day time backup will be caught in tomorrow night's "normal" back up? If I can just get my boss to givwe me the time to read the *@#$-ing user's guide I'll be much better off...of course that was true for ASIP, ad We've had that for nealy a year...anyone want a new copy still in the box???

Yes, that's correct.

If it doesn't get backed up during the day, then the "Archive" bit does not get reset, and the next time Retrospect looks at the file to see if it should be backed up, it knows what to do.

Good luck! Retrospect can be...uh...challenging to work with...

Hi,

We do not rely on the archive bit at all. We do not even look at it. We look at file names, size, dates (modify, creation etc), etc. We look at the actual file to determin if it needs to be backed up.

Melissa <---dantz employee

Archived