In case of TOTAL DISASTER - what does one do?

I am thinking of getting the Retrospect Small Business Server Standard but I wonder -

what do I do if my server suffers irrecoverable damage such as a fire and I need to get a new machine?

I will store copies of the image CD and external hard drives with current back up at an off-site location but I am concerned because my server is already 2 years old and I just checked with Dell and they will not be able to sell me a server that has the exact same hardware configuration...

from previous experience with Norton Ghost I know that you must have the exact same hardware if you want to restore an image - so what should I do (beside buying 2 new identical servers) if I want to be ready to quickly recover from something as bad as fire?

Thanks

Hi

Have you seen this?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;824125

One thing you can do is make sure that the original system and the new system use the same hard disk controller. If those are the same and everything else isn't too different you should be fine.

If you are really concerned you could run your server with another EMC product called VMware. That will make your server installation 100% portable to any machine anywhere. It is quite cool and I don't think it is all that expensive either.

Thanks

nate

• 3 weeks later...

Vmware allows you to import using p2v (a program of theirs) into a virtual image of your original operating system which you can run on top of any microsoft operating system from nt4 to W2003 running on a new machine with totally different hardware!. After importation, the virtual image behaves exactly as the original machine It uses a portion of the system memory and some of the HD (either real or virtual). There are many benefits to running a machine this way amongst which is taking snapshots of the machine state at any time to which you can revert if the machine bluscreens (for instance) or you can completely copy (clone) your virtual machine and run another copy of it.

The basic program do this is vmworkstation. Vmworkstation is cheap. P2V is not!

Certain versions of ghost produce images which can be directly imported into vmworkstation, without using P2V.

Archived