Two Disks, Machines, Retrospect 6.1, Strategy?

I've got two identical PowerBooks with 80GB HDs, and two identical 120GB IDE drives, and one external drive enclosure. Periodically, one IDE drive will be offsite for an unpredictable amount of time (1-8 weeks, usually), while the other will be in an enclosure connected (almost) every day to a particular PowerBook. The other PowerBook will be connected via the network, perhaps less frequently than every day. I'd like get as close to a daily backup of both machines as possible onto a single 120GB drive.

I'm using Retrospect 6.1 for Mac, and would like to be able to restore either PowerBook using the Retrospect CD and the external drive.

Is this possible? Am I deluding myself in thinking I can backup both 80GB drives to a single 120GB drive? Would it work with larger drives? Any suggestions?

Hi

Install Retrospect client on the network machine and log it in. This will allow you to back it up. The manual has details on working with clients.

Create two backup sets, one on each drive.

Then create a "backup server" script (say no to easy script) that includes both backup sets. Add the network machine and your local disks as sources to the script.

Retrospect will automatically back up to which ever backup set is currently connected.

Thanks

nate

Thanks! I wasn't sure of what the difference between a machine being remote and local was. e.g. if I could restore either using only the backup set and the bootable Retrospect CD, or if the files that are identical on both would be recognized (not duplicated on the backup set) if one was local and the other was remote.

Archived