2 week rotation script

Howdy,

I need some help. I have been trying to set up a 2 week backup rotation script using Retrospect 7.0 to DVD media and its not going well. What I would like is to have a full backup monday through friday of week1 then incremental backups the corresponding day of week2. I have tried going about this by starting with a Recycle Backup on Monday of week 1 to initialize the backupset, then New member backups the rest of the week to add media to the backup set. Then on week2 I do 5 days of normal backups. This is causing lots of problems as the 2nd week is requiring the media not recognizing the proper media, its expecting the wrong numbers and the discs have to be erased to be accepted. now after two weeks of erasing discs my backup set is full.

After reading though the forums and the documentation some more I am now thinking that what I need to do is create 5 backup sets one for each day of the week then do recycle backups for each day of week 1 and normal backups for each day of week two... can anyone validate that this would work or offer some advice as to how to accomplish this task.

Thanks in advance.

keith

Hi

You are on the right track.

You have 10 disks right? That means you need to do Recycle backups for one week and New-media backups for the next.

One question though:

Assuming a recycle backup fits on one disc and you are using 10 disks why not just use 10 backup sets and do recycle backups all the time? That way each disk is a complete backup.

Thanks

nate

Thanks Nate.

I think I might do as you suggested. Originally I was thinking that I could implement the scheme on 5 disks where the 2nd weeks incremental backup would reside on the remaining portion of the previous weeks full backup but as I thought about it, not only would it not work that way, it doesnt make much sense. Either way now that I know this will work, Ill do this.

Thanks again.

Keith

Archived