restore question - how 'all is 'all'?

tlemons

Hi

I have a customer who has been using an eMachines system for several years, and now wants to move the software environment that she has on the eMachines system over to a new Dell system. Needless to say, the only thing they have in common is Windows XP SP2; all of the installed applications, as well as the hardware, are different. If I've taken backups of the eMachines system, can I use a Retrospect restore to 'move' EVERYTHING (files, applications, Registry information, everything) to the new Dell? I think the answer is 'yes', but I want to make sure before I start.

I read the Retrospect 7 documentation, and noticed that one restore option is the one documented here:

"Restore an entire volume, selects and restores all files and folders from the source Snapshot to the destination, deleting all other contents. Restores registry and System State information from the Snapshot (if available)."

Does this restore mode really delete all of the existing files on a system, and all of its Registry information, and then restore the needed files and the needed Registry information?

Is the Registry restore handled by the Retrospect Helper Service? I did a 'all' restore and watched it work.

Thanks!

tl

Hi

This probably will not work unless the emachines and the new Dell have similar hardware. Retrospect restores the registry which means the existing registry is completely overwritten.

Its worth a shot I suppose. If the machine won't boot just run the Dell recovery disk and then copy over only data files.

Thanks

Nate

Archived