assertion failure at Elem.CPP-992

dufferdan

I am running Retrospect Express HD for windows. version 1.0.196

I am using an Maxtor OneTouch II USB external harddrive. The Retrospect Express software came with the harddrive. Purchase August 14, 2005.

I am running Window XP Pro (SP2)

It seemed to be working fine for the first month or so. It shows that I have 112 restore points available. It stopped making backups a couple weeks ago and I haven't been able to get it working since. The last backup was Oct.9 2005

I have not installed any new software, I don't know why it stopped working. I have tried uninstalling it completely and reinstalling it a couple of times.

If I start a backup I get the following message:

"Retrospect has encountered a serious error: Assertion failure at "elem.cpp-992" A log of this error has been written to the file "assert_log.utx". Please tell Dantz about this problem....send the error report? Yes No

Hi

Please delete the following folder, restart the computer and run the setup of Retrospect Express HD again:

c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\RetroEXP

This will fix any corruption in the Retrospect settings files. It will not erase your backups.

Thanks

Nate

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for posting help. Not sure if this helped dufferdan, but I am having this same problem. Deleted the folder, reinstalled, same thing. (did it 2x to be sure; got latest version of sw from ftp site). Also ran scan disk on drive (OK). Also did test back up of just one tiny folder not previously backed up (OK). Windows XP SP1 (patched).

Any further thoughts?

Archived