Reversed Schedule

I recently upgraded from 4.3 under Mac OS 9 to 5.0.205 under Mac OS X. Under the older version, I had several backups scheduled to take place at multiple times (for example 5:00, 6:00, 7:00, 8:00 & 9:00 PM). If the 5:00 backup lasted until 10:00, all of the other backups would execute in order (6, 7, 8, 9) as the previous one finished.

Under OS X, I did a clean install and recreated my scheduled events. Now if the 5:00 backup lasts until 10:00, the other backups execute in REVERSED order (9, 8, 7, 6)!!

Has anyone else seen this behavior?

How come you didn't use your old config files with version 5.0?

It sounds like the new scripts are just setup (somewhere) incorrectly.

If you go to Automate/Preview - do they look right?

Your best bet is to pull out the new config files, drop in your old config files and then launch Retrospect so that your using the same scripts as before. We have never seen nor heard of such a problem.

I just ran the test here - to make sure and it didn't happen this way.

Part of the reason that I didn't use my old config files was that I have been using Retrospect for about 10 years now. I have been through various versions. I have several custom selectors that I have defined over the years. Every time I upgraded, I always kept my old selectors, which meant that I didn't get any of the additions that Dantz made with time.

With OS X and this version of Retrospect, I wanted to start with a clean slate. So I reconnected to all of my clients, re-added only the selectors that I was using, and re-established my scheduled backups.

If I look at Automate/Preview, the scripts are shown in the order that I would expect. If the scripts for any night execute quickly, they execute in order just fine, but if I have anything that has an extended run time, the pending scripts execute in reverse order.

I can do some testing on smaller backups to see if I can reproduce the problem on a smaller scale.

Archived