win Xp and USB harddrives

Plugged in 2 different USB drives in my P4 XP SP2 machine, both drives have lost their format, Out of the box Fat32, plugged directly into machine USB. XP will not reformat these drives.(Only NTFS available) Tried MS storage manager, delete partition, renew primary partn, full format goes about 10%, and machine goes to reboot.Formatted one drive on Win ME machine to Fat32 and copied some Jpeg files onto it, on the XP machine the jpeg files come out as garbled streaks of colours in "Win Pic and Fax viewer".One of these drives used to work as a bakup using Drive Image 7.0 on this machine. Updated to SP2 since that time.The second drive conked out using Retrospect express Backup. Running Norton Antivirus, with xp firewall is diabled. Only usb mouse and battery powerinterupt usb connected.Spend several days and $$ on this now. Appreciate help.

Hi Natew, No problems on other XP machines., Tried the 80GB fat32 drive on an XP laptop, and the jpegs show just fine. Took both drives in to the local Futureshop, and again the 80GB drive on an XP machine showed just fine. The 160GB drive showed "not formatted", so we formatted it to NTSF no problem, did take about 55 minutes. Copied a txt file to the drive, had no problem reading this back. Now will have to try it again on my xp machine, maybe it does not do fat32 anymore??. Will let you know the results. Did loose my sound as well when I upgraded via download to SP2., It is integrated Intel sound, and the drivers are not being loaded, something may have happened to the registry ?? Is there a bakup facility in XP, that is not in initial installation, how would I install it. My xp is on a recovery disk supplied by the machine manufacturer.(Cicero/Seanix)Windows ME had a bakup facility, don't know yet how good it is. I need a complete system backup, not just a file copy program.

Letkel

Archived