Beginner advice to rebuild data?

Hi, I recently had a major failure w/my laptop which resulted in system recovery (& being sent in for repair) so now its back but, of course empty of ALL my programs.

Question I have is I would assume I should reload ALL my programs "first" before restoring from the external hard drive (which I luckily purchased just days before the crash & had done backup).

I never did a disaster recovery type back up I had only done 1 back up set & 1 duplicate w/Retrospect 6.5 (came with the western digital external drive I bought) @ the time the computer failed.

PS since it came back I did try already AFTER loading programs to do a restore, but, didn't seem to figure out yet how to get it to restore from the back up set said something about catalog file & recreating etc... but, when I didn't succeed there I tried to restore the "whole" duplicate overwriting the c-drive on the computer, then it asked for the windows XP disk to be inserted, well I don't have that so I told it to cancel then something got messed up because after restarting it only had black screen w/some sentence like NTLDA missing, hit ctrl. alt. delete to restart which of course didn't work! So I made it boot from CD drive & did a full system recovery again. That's where I'm at now, & wondering if I should reload all programs first again before trying restore?

Thanks for the help,

Linda [color:black] [/color]

Archived