TCP/IP Problem

robday

Hi,

My networking knowledge is limited so please bear with me. I have just upgraded my copy of Retrospect to 5.0 and purchased 2 client licenses. I haven't been able to get the clients to work because my network is Appletalk and not TCP/IP which I realize after reading the documentation is now needed with 5.0.

I have a simple all Mac (9.x OS) network--3 computers and a printer connected via 100 base-t ethernet and hub (no router). The 3 Macs connect to the internet via a dialup PPP connection. Both Retrospect's and Apple's documentation for setting up a TCP/IP network refers me to my Network Administrator, who unfortunately is me. Can anyone tell me how to set the various control panels up to establish a TCP/IP connection between my 3 work stations and still be able to dial out via PPP?

Thanks.

Rob

I was able to see the 2 client computers by setting the TCP/IP control panels to ethernet with IP addresses at 192.168.1.x. I can't however login--get an error message -1028 "client not visible on network". The bigger question seems to be if version 5 clients won't work over Appletalk does that force me to switch TCP/IP settings when dialing up and backing up as long as I'm still on OS 9x? Even with a script this seems pretty inconvenient--is there anyway to still get the 4.3 client which I gather works over an Appletalk connection?

If you are running an all-9.x or prior network (no OS X) then you may be better off with AppleTalk clients and Retrospect 4.3. The 5.0 application is not able to see AppleTalk clients, regardless of the OS you are running.

If you do need to use 5.0, then you will need to have a TCP/IP connection active when you set Retrospect to back up.

If you are familiar with AppleScript, there is a script on our website that works with a Mac feature called Location Manager. Location Manager can be used to have more than one setting for your network preferences, and the AppleScript on our site tell the Retrospect client when you switch between the settings. This script is at:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=applescripts

Archived