HP Storageworks 1/8 Ultrium 448 Tape Autoloader

Hello everyone,

I am wondering if anyone has been able to get a HP Storageworks 1/8 Ultrium 448 Tape Autoloader to work properly with any version of Retrospect?

Currently, I am only able to get Retrospect to recognize the drive, and not the autoloader mechanism.

If I cant get this to work, I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy another backup manager other than Retrospect.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Network Manager

Hudsonville Public Schools

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the reply to this, and I apologize for the very late response.

I am using Retrospect 6.5.319 with Driver Update 5.4. The server is an HP DL380G3 and it is running Windows 2000 Server SP4. My SCSI Adapter is an LSI dual channel Ultra 320 22320-HP.

Per your suggestion, I have used Device Manager to disable both the media changer and the tape drive. After I made this change, I also rebooted. Unfortunately, Retrospect is still not seeing the changer, only the drive.

Hi

Are you using Retrospect Single Server Edition or higher?

Make sure to download and install Retrospect 6.5.350 from the updates page.

What does Retrospect show in the configure->devices->environment screen? the more detail you can provide the better.

Thanks

Nate

I am using Retrospect Multi Server.

I just downloaded and applied the 6.5.350 patch, but I am unfortunately still experiencing the problem.

In the environment screen, I see the Tape Drive "HP Ultrium Gen 2 DC (1.41)". It is listed as being at address 8:2. However, I do not see the media changer listed. I also see two other devices, a SCSI hard drive and an IDE CD-ROM, I have both of these set to ignore.

The tape drive and the changer share the same SCSI address, but are on different LUNs. The Changer is LUN 1, and the drive is LUN 0.

HP provides a utility called StorageWorks library and tape tools. This utility DOES see the media changer (and is capable of sending it successful commands), and I have used this utility to update the firmware on both the changer and the drive to the latest available from HP.

If there is any more information I can provide, please let me know.

Thanks for your help,

Jonathan

Hi

Are the Tape drive/changer and the SCSI CD drive on the same SCSI cable or bus? Have you tried disconnecting the CD drive to see if you have better luck?

So if I read your post correctly the device is bus 8, SCSI ID 2, Lun 0 and 1 correct? Have you tried different SCSI IDs and luns?

Thanks

Nate

Thanks again for the reply.

No, the CD Drive is IDE, and the SCSI Hard Drive is on a different SCSI Controller all together. The hard drive is actually a RAID array.

Yes, you read the address correctly. And yes, unfortunately I already tried changing IDs. It came originally set to ID 5. I changed it to 2 as a troubleshooting step. As far as I know, there is no way to change the LUN assignments within the Unit. At least I have never seen any interface from which to do it from, and I dont see any instructions on how to do it in the documentation.

Hi

In the configure->devices->environment screen in Retrospect does it say "devices visible using NT passthrough"? If so, try installing ASPI using the ASPIINST.exe utility located in the Retrospect program folder. You will need to reboot the machine.

After the reboot confirm that the screen now says "devices visible using ASPI". You may want to try enabling the Windows driver for the device once ASPI is installed.

Thanks

Nate

Archived