Backup Sets & Duplicates

To restore from a duplicate - you do a duplicate.

If you duplicate A to B and want something from B to go back to A. Then you duplicate B to A.

Hope this helps! You can also just open your destination drive (say its' B in this example) and copy the folder over that you want. There is no catalog file with a duplicate.

Melissa

Thank you for this response.

I tried what you said with my D and F drives. Originally, I duplicated D to F to a subvolume folder called D drive. I was working with my actual D drive and needed to reformat it. I went through retrospect and did the reverse action which was duplicate F subvolume folder D back to D drive volume. It reported that this reverse was successful. I checked the D drive and all my folders and files are back on My D drive as before. I was happy to see this. Now, after seeing this I have gained some confidence in Retrospcect for restoring my C drive. :-)

I really don't want to test the reverse duplicate operation with the C drive, because it does not feel as though I will get the same successful results as I got with restoring the D drive. My D drive is only being used as a data storage drive for my documents, photos, music files, etc. So, the reverse duplicaton worked well and just like you said. The C drive volume duplication to subvolume C folder on F drive was successful. But, since the C drive contains the operating system, registry - which does not copy during duplication, restore folder - which, by default, will be skipped during the restore back to C, contain pc help file, swap file, drivers, etc, I am just wondering:

1) will the same reverse process be sucessful restoring the C drive from F drive?

2) are there any precautions that I need to be aware of when restoring the C drive, such as, turn off any applications that could interfere with the the restore or cause errors?

3) once the restore is performed to C drive do I just reboot the system with restart or shutdown/poweroff, then cold boot?

Thanks?

1) will the same reverse process be sucessful restoring the C drive from F drive?

Yes. As long as you do not have Express. Desktop and above will duplicate the registry.

2) are there any precautions that I need to be aware of when restoring the C drive, such as, turn off any applications that could interfere with the the restore or cause errors?

Nope! Retrospect can do a live restore!

3) once the restore is performed to C drive do I just reboot the system with restart or shutdown/poweroff, then cold boot?

Just restarting the system is fine.

Yes. As long as you do not have Express. Desktop and above will duplicate the registry.

Sorry, but I don't quite understand this part about as long as I don't have Express. I used Express to perform the duplication from C to F drive. To restore, don't I use Express to perform duplication back to C drive? If not, then how do I restore from the F drive back to C drive, and what happens to the registry during restore since I am using Express to perform duplication backups?

Your help is always appreciated :-) .

If you have the Express version of Retrospect it does not duplicate the registry. So if you were going to duplicate back from F to C you wouldn't have a bootable drive nor a working system.

You must have the Desktop version of Retrospect in order to do what you want to do.

Sorry about ths long post. Please tell me what is Retrospect Express used for? Perhaps, I misinterpreted its purpose. I was told how to backup my hard drive from C to F, which the duplication method was recommended and was told that I could restore my hard drive from this backup; I spoke to an actual Dantz representative who told me this.

Product page informaton shows: Duplicates - Copy any local volume or folder to any other; optimizes process by copying only new or changed files. In your response to me (dated 5/14), you wrote: To restore from a duplicate - you do a duplicate. If you duplicate A to B and want something from B to go back to A. Then you duplicate B to A. But nothing was said about duplication restore cannot be done with Express; the Desktop verison must used.

But, now, your reply, bottom line, is that I cannot restore from Express using duplication, because it does not duplicate the registry which would result into an unbootable non-working system. In a nutshell, I must purchase the Desktop version $149.00 vs $49.00 for Express, if I want to be able to restore my system with Retrospect software because it duplicates the registry. I have not located any documentation indicating that duplication does not restore the C drive using Express version because it does not duplcate the registry.

This is what I read on the product page about Express:

Retrospect Express Backup for Windows®

Personal backup for one computer.

You do it for the day something happens to your data and you need to restore either a single file or your "entire hard disk". Also, Restoring: Restore in a single step even after multiple incremental backups restore any hard disk the way it was after the last backup session

Disaster recovery feature makes complete restores simple even after total hard drive failure or replacement

I am confused all over again. Here I thought I had system backup and restore software, Retrospect Express, and this is not the case.

:-( I have a duplication backup of C on F drive and thought I was really prepared for a restore if needed. The thought of not having a bootable drive nor a working system after attempting to restore my system from this duplicate, is a situation that I don't want to have to encounter.

So, think you so much for advising me on this: I have been asking and trying to understand how do I resstore from a duplicate backup using Express version. After several replys, now, I am told that I cannot. Please help me understand why am I using Retrospect Express if I cannot restore my system from it via the duplication method as I was told that I can do. The main reason for using a backup system software is to be able to restore from it in the event of disk failure or disk replacement.

Melissa, thank you.

Now that I have gotten over the shock that the Express duplication method does not backup the registry and cannot restore the C drive, just wondering is there is a way to work around this as follows:

Since the duplicate backup method does not backup the registry, which the registry sounds like it is the key to being able to bootup and having a functioning system, can the registry be manually backed up by exporting the whole registry to another location which will be my F external drive.

Then can the restore process be done from the duplicate backup and the exported registry. In other words whenever I update my duplicate backup, can I just export the registry so that it will be current and be consistent with duplicate backup? Since I want to be able to perform an entire disk restore after reformatting the C drive or replacing the drive, then can I do the following:

1. Besure the operating system is installed first and functioning properly

2. Re-install retrospect

3. "duplicate" the duplicated C drive located on F drive back to C

4. Import the exported backed up registry from F to the C drive

5. then re-boot and all will be back to normal

However, I believe I read that the duplication method does not backup the , temporary files, cache, and the restore folder. When I compared the duplicated backup on F with the original location, I can see that it did not backup the swap file which is not needed because it recreates on every bootup -- all this is ok. Also, I read that OS hidden files are backed up by default, so, no need to worry about this if this info is correct for the duplication method.

If the above method can restore the system in this manner, are there any problems that you can think of that I may encounter or precautions that I need to take or make any preparations before performing a restore in this manner?

Hopefully, this can work!

"In a nutshell, I must purchase the Desktop version $149.00 vs $49.00 for Express, if I want to be able to restore my system with Retrospect software because it duplicates the registry."

Right. "Duplicates" is the key. If you were backing up - it would always "backup" the registry (any/all versions of Retrospect BACKUP the registry). But Desktop and above is the only versions that "duplicate" the registry. So it isn't even a fact of if you upgrade to desktop you can all of a sudden restore your registry.....you must of duplicated it first. In which you didnt, because you have Express.

Documentation for this? www.dantz.com/knowledgebase and type in duplicate registry. 2nd item that comes up is a Knowledgebase entry for this.

You wrote:

"1. Besure the operating system is installed first and functioning properly

2. Re-install retrospect

3. "duplicate" the duplicated C drive located on F drive back to C

4. Import the exported backed up registry from F to the C drive

5. then re-boot and all will be back to normal "

This is fine. This will work to prodivded you exported your registry. Although....

it would be better if at step 3 you just duplicated back the items you needed (documents, pictures, files etc) instead of your entire system. The Registry is so dependant on the hardware and the operating system. After an Import I am not 100% sure that it imports everything 100% like it was before. That would be my only concern.

Archived